Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Employment Question

Options
  • 07-04-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi
    I am self employed but I am looking to get a job also. Can anybody give me some advise on this? Such as Taxation Bracket, Legality and if there is generally what barriers are there to doing this in Ireland.

I would appreciate any help & Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi
    I am self employed but I am looking to get a job also. Can anybody give me some advise on this? Such as Taxation Bracket, Legality and if there is generally what barriers are there to doing this in Ireland.

I would appreciate any help & Thanks in Advance.

Op, one of the joys of being self employed is that you are responsible for the payment of tax owing on your income, whereas if you are employed, your taxes are deducted from your wage. Unless you submit your returns yourself, you will need to employ an accountant for your self employed work.

Judging by your question, you will be needing an accountant so here is what you need to do, you need to make an appointment to see an accountant and put that question to him/her. You may also need to register for VAT or register a company, the accountant will advise you about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

davo10 wrote: »
    Op, one of the joys of being self employed is that you are responsible for the payment of tax owing on your income, whereas if you are employed, your taxes are deducted from your wage. Unless you submit your returns yourself, you will need to employ an accountant for your self employed work.

Judging by your question, you will be needing an accountant so here is what you need to do, you need to make an appointment to see an accountant and put that question to him/her. You may also need to register for VAT or register a company, the accountant will advise you about this.

Eh, I think the OP knows all this, since they are self employed already!

OP, there are no legal barriers to being am employee and self-employed at the same time. Some employers might not like it, but many won't care.

When you get a job, you get access to the PAYE tax credit. Call Revenue and they will set up to have roughly the right amount of tax deducted from your pay. You will also need to include the income from employment and the tax deducted on your tax-return.

Advertisement