Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S3 Mini - Root Advice (Noobie)

Options
  • 07-04-2016 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I've an old S3 Mini here, that's starting to give warnings of storage full (while doing regular play store updates etc). I put a 4GB Micro SD in it thinking I could move apps etc over to the SD card, but alas it doesn't allow for it. From googling, it appears I have to root the device in order to be able to do it. Some questions:

1) It seems easy to root the phone, with various 'one click' tools out there. Is it that easy on this phone, or are these automated methods best avoided?

2) What are custom recovery thingies? They've come up a lot in searches...

3) I gather rooting is just gaining root access to the phone, on the existing OS (rom?)? If I root the phone, can I install later versions of Android, or can I install custom roms?

4) What is Cyanogen?

Would appreciate any input, cheers

Advertisement