Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurable Interest

Options
  • 07-04-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Can you please advise in this situation.

If I give my car to my dad, but do not do a transfer of ownership on the vehicle.  I only want to allow him the use of my car, I want to retain ownership.

Can he take insurance out on the car, even though he is not the registered owner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

Seve OB wrote: »
    Hi there,

Can you please advise in this situation.

If I give my car to my dad, but do not do a transfer of ownership on the vehicle.  I only want to allow him the use of my car, I want to retain ownership.

Can he take insurance out on the car, even though he is not the registered owner?
    Can I insure a car that I don’t own?
    We are asked on occasion by callers if they can get insured under their own name on a car they don’t own
    Unfortunately, a driver who is not named as the owner on a car’s Vehicle Registration Certificate or Vehicle Licensing Certificate will not be able to take out a Car Insurance policy on that car. However, if you, as a driver, want to be insured to drive a car you don’t own, you can be put on the owner’s policy as a named driver. This ensures that you are will be insured whenever they drive the owner’s vehicle.

Advertisement