Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to dresses!

Options
  • 07-04-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I’m looking for ideas on how to dress for smart/casual events. I dress pretty casually most of the time, jeans and leggings during the day and trousers and a top if going to the pub. My current go to outfit for a night out would be a pair of those stretchy patterned trousers from Penny’s and a top. I mainly only wear dresses for weddings or other dressy occasions, I’m slow to buy dresses as I don’t tend to get much wear out of them. What do people wear as an alternative to dresses for occasions like, communions, confirmations, going out to dinner etc? I have a confirmation coming up and I don’t have a clue what to wear!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I'm a bit like you with clothing. Trousers and tops are my going out favourites. I had a function last year and I wore black trousers, a printed camisole top and a white kimono and it looked very good.

I have another function coming up soon and I'm bit stuck for an outfit. I bought a skirt recently and it's lovely and I like it. I tried it on last night again and got the opinion of a family member and I was told - no! It doesn't suit me so I will be returning it and searching again. Might go with the old reliable - trousers and top.

I was looking at a tunic top this morning that I'm considering and teaming it with leggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I was going to suggest patterned trousers but I see you say that you wear them already. Maybe get one or two pairs with a floral pattern, might look a bit dressier and summery.

Would you wear a pair of leather-look trousers. I got a pair of coated jeans in New Look a while back. I wear them with trainers and a denim or check shirt or an oversized jumper for casual. Then swap for a cami and heels for night-time. I'd imagine Zara would have good quality pairs of leather look trousers, however not sure if they are in stock in stores at this time of year.

Also culottes are quite in fashion for this year. Not for me personally as I'm too short to carry them off. But, when worn with court heels or lace up heels, they can look more dressy.

Lastly, do you have any blazers? I stayed away from them for ages cos I work in an office and they just reminded me of work! But I've picked up a few cheap one's in Penneys in different colours and I find that they look well with skinny jeans, heels and a cami top.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

What about a jumpsuit? There are some very classy ones out there. I am verging on computer illiterate so I can't do links! But River Island have had some lovely ones. I don't wear them myself but I think they look beautiful on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I think a good fitting pair of skinny jeans, heeled ankle boots, blouse and a nice blazer always looks smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I was going to suggest patterned trousers but I see you say that you wear them already. Maybe get one or two pairs with a floral pattern, might look a bit dressier and summery.

Would you wear a pair of leather-look trousers. I got a pair of coated jeans in New Look a while back. I wear them with trainers and a denim or check shirt or an oversized jumper for casual. Then swap for a cami and heels for night-time. I'd imagine Zara would have good quality pairs of leather look trousers, however not sure if they are in stock in stores at this time of year.

Also culottes are quite in fashion for this year. Not for me personally as I'm too short to carry them off. But, when worn with court heels or lace up heels, they can look more dressy.

Lastly, do you have any blazers? I stayed away from them for ages cos I work in an office and they just reminded me of work! But I've picked up a few cheap one's in Penneys in different colours and I find that they look well with skinny jeans, heels and a cami top.

I love culottes but they do come up long and I can never find culottes that would sit at the knee. They usually do come up a bit long and I'm 5ft 4.

An alternative would be something called 'city shorts'. FF clothing had them last year. Oxendales had them last year too I think. I might have seen them online on next a few weeks ago. They are black slacks shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thanks so much for the ideas, I love the idea of trying shorts, jumpsuits or culottes, but I'm not sure how to actually put outfits together! I'm 5ft 7 so think culottes would be OK, but I find that a lot of shorts are too short on me (I'm almost 37 and don't want to look muttony!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I am a year older and I find Cos brilliant for our age group. You could wear simple white top over slim fit trousers:
    http://www.cosstores.com/ie/Women/Tops/Tops_Blouses/Oversize_top_with_chunky_tie/10673109-43227231.1#c-22755

Or you could do similar type outfit as this one:
    http://www.cosstores.com/ie/Women/Dresses/Gathered_collar_dress/46881-37656992.1#c-22755

If you wear longer top, tunic, dress over trousers (yeah it's back 'in') you can match it with light coat:
    http://ie.sisley.com/shop/ie_en/lace-coat.html

The links above are not an outfit but more the type of clothing you can wear if you want to wear trousers. I think simple slim fit cropped trousers go well with sandals or stilettos and then you can add more dramatic tops (tunic s, dresses). Another option would be wide leg trousers, high heels and fitted top (check Zara for that). It depends a bit on your figure too but current fashion is actually quite good for dressy trouser outfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I'm not a fan of dresses either. I'm sick of buying dresses for occasions and only wearing them once. I've a confirmation (I'm the sponsor) next month and was thinking of buying this and wearing it with dark navy jeans/trousers.
    I'm MUCH older than you and am afraid of the 'mutton dressed as lamb' but I'd this would be ok

image1xxl.jpg

Edit - Apologies for the giant photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Rosemary McCabe had the most unreal jumpsuit on for a wedding yesterday. I'm sure it's on her Facebook/Instagram/blog still. I love jumpsuits lately they're so comfy and new look have a brilliant selection which are reasonably priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

I'm a bit like you with clothing. Trousers and tops are my going out favourites. I had a function last year and I wore black trousers, a printed camisole top and a white kimono and it looked very good.

I have another function coming up soon and I'm bit stuck for an outfit. I bought a skirt recently and it's lovely and I like it. I tried it on last night again and got the opinion of a family member and I was told - no! It doesn't suit me so I will be returning it and searching again. Might go with the old reliable - trousers and top.

I was looking at a tunic top this morning that I'm considering and teaming it with leggings.

Why would you return it if you like it?! :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement