Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VAT on commercial vehicles

Options
  • 07-04-2016 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how this works, if I buy a commercial vehicle from a dealer will they charge VAT on the sale? What about buying a commercial privately, will VAT be charged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yes of course.

If you are a business or run a company that VAT can be claimed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

xabi wrote: »
    Anyone know how this works, if I buy a commercial vehicle from a dealer will they charge VAT on the sale? What about buying a commercial privately, will VAT be charged?

I'd you buy a commercial privately from a vat registered person, the price you pay will include vat and as such you will get a vat receipt that will allow you claim vat back.
    If you bought from a private person that was not vat registered, there will be no vat on the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

I looked at one yesterday that had been converted to a crew cab and the dealer said no VAT on the price. Don't think I'll go back to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

What about this scenario. I buy a jeep and convert it to commercial, run for a few years and sell, what do I need to do in relation to VAT here? I'm VAT registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The vat rules are different for vehicles as fas as I remember. I don't think you can claim it all back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement