Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wan to buy: v low tax, economical, nice interior €12k budget

Options
  • 07-04-2016 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a 09 Saab 93, lovely car but the CO2 is 158 so tax is €570 pa. It seems to be very economical.
    Daily drive to work- 12km or 17km (depending on route).
    I'm toying with the idea of selling it/trading it in for something:
    • with very low tax
    • economical
    • nice interior (comfortable seats, maybe leather...)
    • bluetooth (not a deal breaker)
    • controls on steering wheel
      LIST]

Size doesn't matter that much, could be a VW Passat or Ford Fiesta. Budget would be about €12k, any suggestions would be welcome.
      Thanks,
      Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Look at it this way. Your major gripe seems to be the tax and then maybe a bit better fuel economy.

Now to get into a car with your spec list id imagine your going to maybe ~€280 per year.

So your saving per year will be ~€250 per year on tax, that's maybe €4.8 per week.

Say you save a bit on fuel, another €5 per week.

Now it seems your going to spend €12k to save €10 per week, €520 per year.

So your "savings" will essentially never pay off.

Now, if you want to change your car because you want to change it fine, but don't be thinking that your really saving anything by changing.

People get caught up on the tax rates when in the overall ownership of a car it's mostly small change, unless your talking about large engines under the old rate.

Even that, I drive a 2.2 with near €1k tax. My wife has a mondeo with €280 tax. It's only €13 a week extra to drive the vehicle I really wanted so I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi Brian,
    You're right. I know that the saving wouldn't be huge and that the Saab is lovely to drive and has v nice interior.
    I'm just trying with the idea and may well end up keeping the Saab. But just wondering what options would be.
    Besides what I mentioned it'd also be getting a car with lower milage, a bit newer so hopefully more reliable/will have less problems..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi Brian,
    You're right. I know that the saving wouldn't be huge and that the Saab is lovely to drive and has v nice interior.
    I'm just trying with the idea and may well end up keeping the Saab. But just wondering what options would be.
    Besides what I mentioned it'd also be getting a car with lower milage, a bit newer so hopefully more reliable/will have less problems..

I understand.. fresher lower mileage motor, throw in some more toys to ease the journies are all understandable... But I wouldn't get hung up on the tax rates, as I said, its small change in motoring terms.

Sounds like your commute is only putting ~5k km's on the car each year so even a higher mileage motor would last well with that sort of motoring. what would your annual mileage be in total ??

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Brasso

Nissan Leaf fits your requirements but you would of course need access to another car for long trips.

Advertisement