Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping grass in front of horses?

Options
  • 06-04-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Three horses grazing pretty close to my house in what I would consider a field which has a lot of grass in it. I actually can't believe how quickly they have gone through it. How is it possible to keep them fed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There's very little growth at the moment so most horses are only out for a short period, if at all. Those that are out for longer periods are usually changed around a lot, or fed extra. Once it gets warmer, the grass will grow to keep up with being ate, provided that there's few enough horses in the field and/or the field is big enough.

Some fields are also sectioned off and the horse are rotated between sections, allowing the grass to recover.

Advertisement