Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a market for shafts ?

Options
  • 06-04-2016 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭

Mods, apologies if this should be in the for sale thread, please move if appropriate.

Just wondering if there is a market out there for shaft pulls (i.e. second hand shafts) ?
    Basically I've got a quite old set of irons (albeit in excellent condition) that I got new Nippon shafts for around 18 months ago. They were a second set really, and have only seen maybe 20 rounds tops but it turns out after a fitting the other day that they're not a good fit for me, and I'm wondering if I'm better trying to sell just the shafts or taking a bigger hit and just trying to sell the iron set as is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm only making a guess here, but I'd say there is a limited market for re-shafting to begin with.

People get fitted these days but really that is because competition made shops up their game and if getting a customised set 'for you' is the done thing then people will take that service as its more or less a free of charge service that shops offer to sell their sets. But re-shafting after the sale is limited I think. Maybe not so much for drivers but for irons it is. And then think about it, in that limited market, someone who made the decision to get their clubs reshafted, presumably because they love the heads so much or whatever, how many of those would then go for second hand shafts?

Like I said I'm guessing here, all I see is what is on offer on eBay and adverts and the likes, and it isn't much and those shafts don't fetch much either. But then again those are typically 'standard' shafts that were pulled and replaced with something fancy. If you have something special on offer, things might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

What Nippon shafts are they, out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Russman

joxer1988 wrote: »
    What Nippon shafts are they, out of curiosity?

They're NS Pro 950GH in stiff. 4-PW with New Decade Multi Compound grips.
    I think they're taper tips (as they're in Mizuno heads) but I can confirm if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Russman wrote: »
    Mods, apologies if this should be in the for sale thread, please move if appropriate.

Just wondering if there is a market out there for shaft pulls (i.e. second hand shafts) ?
    Basically I've got a quite old set of irons (albeit in excellent condition) that I got new Nippon shafts for around 18 months ago. They were a second set really, and have only seen maybe 20 rounds tops but it turns out after a fitting the other day that they're not a good fit for me, and I'm wondering if I'm better trying to sell just the shafts or taking a bigger hit and just trying to sell the iron set as is.

How and where was your fitting? Did they tell you the shafts were wrong for you, or the clubs?

The reason i ask is that id like to go for a fitting, but just to advise me on the shafts (stiffness) and lengths (definitely too long) i'm currently using.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Russman

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    How and where was your fitting? Did they tell you the shafts were wrong for you, or the clubs?

The reason i ask is that id like to go for a fitting, but just to advise me on the shafts (stiffness) and lengths (definitely too long) i'm currently using.

It wasn't so much that they were wildly wrong for me, just not ideal. We got the numbers with my own irons then looked at other shaft & similar head combinations and compared. I'd had a feeling they could be improved on from a fitting I did a couple of months ago with Ping when I was much happier with a slightly heavier shaft.
    The fitting was with McGuirks in Leopardstown racecourse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement