Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with skirt please

Options
  • 06-04-2016 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

I'm invited to a communion in a few weeks times. My goe to outfit for going out and functions is usually a black pants with a fancy top. I never got into wearing dresses or skirts or ladywear or whatever. I own one skirt and that's it and hardly worn. This time I did see a nice skirt that I thought about for a while and I ordered it and it came. For someone that usually doesn't wear skirts, I like it. It fits well and there's a nice flare to it.

There is a slight problem - the length. I'm 5ft 4 and the skirt is sitting at mid calfs and I think it's a bit frumpy looking. For a first timer at a skirt since my school uniform days I think I might schock people too. The image online on the site I bought from clearly used a taller lady and it's stunning on her. It sits at the knee for her.

I suppose an option would be to return the skirt. Another option would be to take it to an alternations shop for shortening. I would need a good 4 - 5 inches off for the skirt to sit below my knee. Does anyone have experience at alternations or getting clothes alternated. Would such a job be achievable on a flared skirt? Any advice for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Can you post a picture of the skirt? It's hard to answer your question without a bit more context than 'a flared skirt' :)
    Mid-length skirts are fashionable at the minute and can be flattering on any height, depending on the style and the shoes they are worn with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

dee_mc wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of the skirt? It's hard to answer your question without a bit more context than 'a flared skirt' :)
    Mid-length skirts are fashionable at the minute and can be flattering on any height, depending on the style and the shoes they are worn with.

I don't know if I have enough of a post count to post a link. I'm still new to boards. If you want to Google the skirt in images it's - Studio 8 - Alison skirt. It's a navy skirt.

Yeah, shoes play a big role in skirt wearing. I don't wear high heels. I don't wear flats either. A low heel is my preference.

http://www.oxendales.ie/shop/studio-8-by-phase-eight-alison-skirt/iu880/product/details/show.action?pdBoUid=3820#colour:Navy,size:
    Oh that's pretty! I'd actually prefer that at mid-calf length than at knee length (I'm 5 foot 4). I think it would look really good with a low or mid-heel Mary Jane?
    If you wanted to have it altered, one option would be to keep the length at the back but have it shortened to knee length or just below at the front. I've seen a lot of that style of skirt lately and it looks great.
    Or of course you could just have it shortened to knee length - should be very straight forward to do. Just bring the shoes you plan to wear with it and have the alterations person pin it for you, or if you've someone at home who can pin it up to the right length for you when you're wearing the shoes. Take pictures if necessary to make sure you're happy with the length.

For what it's worth, these shoes were the first thing that came to mind when I saw the skirt http://www.rubyshoo.com/product/227/shoes?Ruby%20Shoo%20Piper
    Paired with a white, navy or pink plain top and minimal accessories, this would be such a pretty outfit!

Advertisement