Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trades Guilds

Options
  • 06-04-2016 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I suppose the Guilds would only relate to businesses, so can I find out anything about my basket-maker, boot maker, tailor, or :D candle-stick maker who would have worked from their own homes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I suppose the Guilds would only relate to businesses, so can I find out anything about my basket-maker, boot maker, tailor, or :D candle-stick maker who would have worked from their own homes?

The guilds only represented crafts which had status from their long apprenticeship.

Tailors certainly had a guild, hence the Tailor's Hall.
    Basket maker probably not. boot maker aka cordwainer, I am not sure.
    Candlestick maker would have been a silver smith, goldsmith or pewter worker.

Some guild records survive, more do not. Dublin City Archive & Library in Pearse Street have some details of surviving guild records.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Don't forget to check the various local trade directories such as Slaters - they have a list of the tradespeople by occupation and address. Link here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you both, I forgot about Slater's. Will check it up. I did remember Tailor's Hall but they don't house anything to do with tailors these days, its a fabulous protected building now. I'll pop into Pearse Street soon.

Advertisement