Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed vans and dual carriageway

Options
  • 06-04-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just passed a speed van on a dual carriageway, 4 lanes. The van was in the opposite side of the road. Can the van pick up both sides of the dual carriageway.

I am just wondering

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,352 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Not if theres a high barrier or hedge between the duel carriageways ifs its openly clear then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 40,352 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

apologies. i misread the op. i thought it said both lanes. i'm pretty sure it cant read both sides of the dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

They can detect speed in both directions.

Fact: They can detect speed in both directions, but only from the back window.

My presumption: They can only do the 2 lanes that are on the side that they're parked on.

Make of that what you will.

But I think dual carriage ways always have a median? Whether it's wires and poles or bushes or a wall, etc. there's always something in the middle? This alone would cause the van to not be able to accurately see the number plates on the opposite side, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Dual carriageways are single direction only. Mainly due to the width of the road and/ or central median.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

They can monitor up to 6 lanes.
    But if there is a central divider such as a metal/concrete barrier, then it'll only monitor one side

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Lardy wrote: »
    Dual carriageways are single direction only. Mainly due to the width of the road and/ or central median.

I agree with you, and I know you work for them, but evidence to the contrary exists. Belgard Rd for example is 4 lanes in places, with a reasonably wide, flat central median. There was a poster here would was caught going in the opposite direction of the van, at quite a distance laterally from the van. They even posted the pic. From a technical standpoint, its sketchy at best.

Unless its a very wide road and / or there is some obscurement by the central median, I'd exercise caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Just passed a speed van on a dual carriageway, 4 lanes. The van was in the opposite side of the road. Can the van pick up both sides of the dual carriageway.

I am just wondering

Thanks in advance.

Well, don't wonder:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/challenge-to-go-safe-as-speed-cases-struck-out-1.1964924

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Diabhalta wrote: »

Thats from 18 months ago. Any further update on it? I know a case was struck out when Gardai refused to hand over a copy of the contract with Go Safe. Surprised there wasn't more said about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

whiterebel wrote: »
    Thats from 18 months ago. Any further update on it? I know a case was struck out when Gardai refused to hand over a copy of the contract with Go Safe. Surprised there wasn't more said about it.

Not sure, but I would say nothing has changed. Obviously they don't want to talk about it much because they know it's not legal what they're doing. I found both companies (GoSfe and Gatso) on cro.ie. I know what I would do if I would get a letter from a private company that says I was speeding. ;) I'm still waiting for a letter from eFlow ( respectively their solicitors). It's fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I'm guessing you saw it parked up at Goffs on the N7 inbound ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Funny how they are never on a stretch of road where there is a toll booth. Always before/after the first non paying turn off.

Coincidence!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Funny how they are never on a stretch of road where there is a toll booth. Always before/after the first non paying turn off.

Coincidence!!:rolleyes:

Pretty sure its because they have no zones on Motorways, except the small section around Naas in Kildare and to my knowledge, the only toll roads in Ireland are all motorways.

They also cost more to run than they generate, so really the revenue argument is utter nonsense (And I ain't pro-van as is obvious by my threads here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

ironclaw wrote: »
    Pretty sure its because they have no zones on Motorways, except the small section around Naas in Kildare and to my knowledge, the only toll roads in Ireland are all motorways.

They also cost more to run than they generate, so really the revenue argument is utter nonsense (And I ain't pro-van as is obvious by my threads here)

It goes for speed cops too.

Toll bridge in Limerick for example:

There is often a speed van at the end of the duel carriageway leading into the toll booth stretch and often a speed cop at the other end around the Roxboro turn off.
    The limerick toll never generated the revenue it was expected to so im guessing every effort is put in place not to deter driver from using it.

If you wanna test drive the new motor to 150mph, that’s the place to do it..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

There's a section after the toll on the M3 between Dunboyne and Clonee that they are permitted to set up.

Advertisement