Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London v Mayo 29th May

Options
  • 06-04-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Now that the 2016 national football league is wrapped up, for us anyway, its time to start looking forward to our trip to London for the start of the 2016 Connacht Chapionship. These preliminary Connacht Championship match's are a big draw for people living in London and indeed all over England. Mayo by far draws some of the largest crowds in Ruislip, the last time we were there on the 26th May 2011 there were between 4/5000 at least there that day.

This year is no different and if anything, the large travelling support is causing London GAA a bit of a conundrum! So much so, that for the first time ever, the London v Mayo match is all ticket! The first initial batch of tickets that went on sale on the 25th of March, sold out completly online within a few days. A second batch went on sale a few days later, and these sold out in a matter of hours. We are waiting to hear back from Mayo county board and Connacht Council, to see what allocation they are getting for the match, if any at all.
    http://mayoclub51.com/tickets-london-gaa-vs-mayo-gaa-sale-now/

Are you going to London v Mayo in Ruislip 29th May? 9 votes

Travelling from Mayo & Have a match ticket
    0% 0 votes
    Travelling from Mayo & Don't have a match ticket
    22% 2 votes
    Travelling from England & Have a match ticket
    66% 6 votes
    Travelling from England & Don't have a match ticket
    11% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

When was the last GAA match that anyone has gone to that has genuinely sold out !! All Ireland finals sell out but come the Saturday morning of the weekend plenty tickets start to show up.

Doubt they will turn away anyone at the gate in Ruislip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Why the spike in interest in this fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

iDave wrote: »

I'm curious too. I'm glad people are travelling (even though I can't make it), but I don't recall ever meeting so many people who were interested in a London v Mayo match as I have this year. I've talked to several people who have had their flights booked well in advance. The only explanation I can offer is that many people are extra interested in how Mayo get on this year with the change of management, a possible new playing style, speculation growing about who's going to make the final cut for the panel for the championship, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

iDave wrote: »

Interest in Mayo football has been at an all time high for the past 5 years.

Its be the most consistently competitive Mayo team in generations, if not ever.

Outside of Dublin they are the only county, in football at least, with a season ticket over subscription.

Thus the demand for an away fixture like London.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Further Ticket Update:
    Due to an unprecedented demand for tickets, there will be no tickets on sale from the county board offices in Ruislip or online until further notice.
    We are currently catering for the "clubs" in london, any requests should come through your club secretary.
    Club secretaries are advised to contact the county secretary Mark Gottsche to request allocation of tickets.
    secretary.london@gaa.ie
    If you are a fully paid up member of a club in London, you are advised to contact your club secretary in the first instance if you require tickets.
    As soon as the allocation of tickets to "clubs" has been completed we will make a further announcement in regards to general ticket availability.
    London GAA County Board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Prop Joe wrote: »
    When was the last GAA match that anyone has gone to that has genuinely sold out !! All Ireland finals sell out but come the Saturday morning of the weekend plenty tickets start to show up.

Doubt they will turn away anyone at the gate in Ruislip

Impossible to prove i would think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

o
    PressRun wrote: »
    I'm curious too. I'm glad people are travelling (even though I can't make it), but I don't recall ever meeting so many people who were interested in a London v Mayo match as I have this year. I've talked to several people who have had their flights booked well in advance. The only explanation I can offer is that many people are extra interested in how Mayo get on this year with the change of management, a possible new playing style, speculation growing about who's going to make the final cut for the panel for the championship, etc.

There's also the novelty of a match in London, which only happens every few years, and the added attraction of making a weekend away out of it.

Mayo should win this one with a bit to spare anyway, anything less than a pretty comfortable win would be surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Now that the 2016 national football league is wrapped up, for us anyway, its time to start looking forward to our trip to London for the start of the 2016 Connacht Chapionship. These preliminary Connacht Championship match's are a big draw for people living in London and indeed all over England. Mayo by far draws some of the largest crowds in Ruislip, the last time we were there on the 26th May 2011 there were between 4/5000 at least there that day.

This year is no different and if anything, the large travelling support is causing London GAA a bit of a conundrum! So much so, that for the first time ever, the London v Mayo match is all ticket! The first initial batch of tickets that went on sale on the 25th of March, sold out completly online within a few days. A second batch went on sale a few days later, and these sold out in a matter of hours. We are waiting to hear back from Mayo county board and Connacht Council, to see what allocation they are getting for the match, if any at all.
    http://mayoclub51.com/tickets-london-gaa-vs-mayo-gaa-sale-now/

I was living in London in 2011 and went to that game. Great crowd there that day. Mayo were lucky to win that one and nobody on that day would have thought they would have made the semi-finals every year since then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

aidan24326 wrote: »
    There's also the novelty of a match in London, which only happens every few years, and the added attraction of making a weekend away out of it.

May should win this one with a bit to spare anyway, anything less than a pretty comfortable win would be surprising.

Remember 2011?????? I had to switch off my phone as it nearly went into meltdown after London drew and took us to extra time. London have improved greatly in recent years and got to a historic Connacht final with us in 2013! I'd never underestimate or take them for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Remember 2011?????? I had to switch off my phone as it nearly went into meltdown after London drew and took us to extra time. London have improved greatly in recent years and got to a historic Connacht final with us in 2013! I'd never underestimate or take them for granted.

Completely different circumstances to 2011. Sorry but i am taking it for granted. No offence to London but honestly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

2011 was a a bit different, to be fair. The team were at quite a low ebb then. They had just come out of that disappointing John O'Mahony era that included the loss to Longford and what I think might have been the one and only time I witnessed Keith Higgins getting a straight red card in a match (he looked very frustrated that day). James Horan had just come in and he had a bit of work to do to rebuild confidence and instill a sense of belief in the team. The London match was only the very beginning of that. While the current team is dealing with a change in management again, I can't imagine they're as shaken now as they were when James Horan took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

mayo.mick wrote: »

Have to agree with Coillte Boy, 2011 was a different time. Mayo were vulnerable at the time and London were better than they are now.

These days Mayo are firmly established as one of the top 3 or 4 teams while London recently finished bottom of Division 4. I know shocks can happen in sport but in all honesty Mayo are on a totally different level to London at the moment and a comfortable Mayo win looks a certainty to me. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a hammering.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

London football is in poor shape. So "really" Mayo should have a double figures win, BUT, this is a weird fixture, so just need to get up for it and get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sneebly

Did not think the game would be sold out already. Don't suppose anybody has a spare or know where I could get one? Was a Chairde Season Ticket Holder last year but couldn't this year due to work commitments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The right attitude and a few early goals should have this put to bed well before half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

MidWest radio have been fielding complaints about it being sold out for weeks now.

Some callers seriously wanted it moved to a football ground, Mayo have some away support but we might struggle to fill The Emirates..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

1. Traditional big support
    2. Large expat community in London
    3. Gang of lads in pub "let's book London game, flights are only €70 and we can stay with my brother, don't worry about tickets"
    4. It's mainly number 4, the boom is back.

London%20matchday%20events_zps7duuyd0w.jpg

LONDON GAA COUNTY BOARD – IRISH TV GAA GROUNDS RUISLIP.
    Connacht Senior Football Championship Qtr. Final
    Sunday 29th May 2016
    London v Mayo
    Throw in 3pm

Gates Open – 11am
    Match Programme £5
    Match – All Ticket - TICKETS ARE NOW COMPLETELY SOLD OUT
    Important Patrons Notice /Match Day Regulations
    • Patrons are encouraged to arrive as early as possible before throw in, Admission by ticket only. Please retain your match ticket all times.
    • There will be no tickets available for sale on the day.
    • Please Co-operate with our stewards and match day Volunteers in the leading up to the Grounds and within the Grounds.
    • Our Intention is to ensure that supporters enjoy the match in safety and comfort so please follow all safety instructions.
    • Bringing Alcohol into the grounds is prohibited. If found on person it will be confiscated.
    • Strictly No Parking allowed within the Grounds or adjacent roads, you are encouraged to use public transport where possible.
    • Limited disabled parking is available within in the Grounds. You may apply for a pass by contacting secretary.london@gaa.ie
    •Taxi’s/Cabs You are advised to exit your taxi / cab at South Ruislip Station and continue your journey to the ground on foot and return for pick up after match. Taxis /Cabs are prohibited from dropping off or picking up passengers at the ground between 12pm and 8pm.
    • Local Buses stop outside the ground; E7 bus travels to and from Ruislip (metropolitan line) and Ealing Broadway station at regular intervals.
    • South Ruislip (Central Line) is 10 minutes' walk
    for travel updates)• Refreshments, Food, and plenty of entertainment available within the Grounds.
    (For patrons arriving to attend the After Match Party (5pm) A Ground Admission Fee of £5 will apply)
    The E7 BUS route stops outside the ground, as an alternative you could take a central line train to Ealing Broadway and catch the E7 directly to the Irish TV Gaa Grounds.(Polish War Memorial Bus stop) The E7 Bus runs every 20m on a Sunday until 8pm, then every 30m. You can also take the Metropolitan Line to Ruislip and then take the E7 bus from just outside the station to the Grounds.
    All the major GAA GAMES and Sporting Event will be shown on big screens in the Ruislip GAA Sports & Social Club, For further updates and further information or details - See our website ww.londongaa.co.uk
    - Facebook: facebook.com/LondonGAA and Twitter: @LondainGaa or Contact London GAA County Board PRO - Declan Flanagan 07736009080 Email: pro.london@gaa.ie
    For full any futher details and information please contact secretary.london@gaa.ie

What's the story with OAP's, students and U-16's with no tickets on the day? :confused:

• Advertisement

We've gathered up some information for any travelling fans to London this weekend.

http://mayoclub51.com/london-calling/

If anyone knows of any other events happening over the weekend, let us know and we'll add it in :)

Mayo team to play London just been named there a short while ago;

1. Robbie Hennelly (Breaffy)
    2. Brendan Harrison (Aghamore)
    3. Kevin Keane (Westport)
    4. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
    5. Lee Keegan (Westport)
    6. Colm Boyle (Davitts)
    7. Patrick Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels)
    8. Tom Parsons (Charlestown)
    9. Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber)
    10. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
    11. Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy)
    12. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
    13. Evan Regan (Ballina Stephenites)
    14. Cillian O’Connor (Ballintubber)
    15. Conor O’Shea (Breaffy)

16. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
    17. David Drake (Ballaghaderreen)
    18. Caolan Crowe (Garrymore)
    19. Shane Nally (Garrymore)
    20. Michael Hall (Breaffy)
    21. Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore)
    22. Cathal Carolan (Crossmolina)
    23. Conor Loftus (Crossmolina)
    24. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
    25. Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy)
    26. Alan Dillon (Ballintubber).

Team Manager: Stephen Rochford.
    Selectors: Donie Buckley, Tony McEntee & Sean Carey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I'm expecting a similar game to 2013 Connacht final but with less Mayo goals and more points this time. The contest will be won by half time with Mayo 9 or 10 points in front and to win pulling up by 16 points.

C O Connor 2-7 (1 pen 5 fs) ,E Regan 1-3 with the majority of scores i reckon.

London 0-10 Mayo 3-17

For anyone that was at the match in Ruislip, or if you know anyone that went, have a look through these photos you might know someone! https://www.facebook.com/lucia.doyle/media_set?set=a.10209630778151437.1073742159.1388294863&type=3

Advertisement