Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Award 1 Course

Options
  • 06-04-2016 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey,

My local club is looking for people who help out with mentoring to take this course. Just wondering what is involved? Is it classroom based, or is there a lot of hands on running around? I have an injury at the moment so not too mobile :)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

gargargar wrote: »
    Hey,

My local club is looking for people who help out with mentoring to take this course. Just wondering what is involved? Is it classroom based, or is there a lot of hands on running around? I have an injury at the moment so not too mobile :)

Thanks

It's a mix generally. Usually done over 4 or 5 days/evenings. So you'll have a few powerpoint type presentations and discussions, a few group exercise discussions and tasks and then there will be actual coaching practicals. Usually they just use the other coaches to act as the players when running drills and games, so there would be a bit of activity in it, but not compulsory and if you are injured it wouldnt be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

Thanks for the information Bruschi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

gargargar wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks

This is a very enjoyable/educational course ... it gives a far better understanding to the coach of the requirements of a coach rather than being just an instructor. It asks a lot of you and your perceptions of training and match practices. There's 8 modules .. 1st one is the theory (yawn) of player/team/coach development and GAA principles. After that yer flying with a mix of classroom and practical stuff .. team play, stats, physical fitness etc. We did it over the course of 8 nights twice a week - I think it's mandatory that someone on your management for each team must have this qualification and from 2018 all Inter County management have to have the Award 2 .. just as well I'm ahead of the pack and actively looking for work .. Louth or Meath .. I'll start low :D

Advertisement