Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Very weird aircon issue

Options
  • 06-04-2016 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭

Got a weird one.
    Since I got the Passat the Econ didn't seem to be working, I brought this to my mechanics attention a few weeks ago who regassed it and said it was working now.
    Except it just didn't seem to be working to me.
    Anywhoo yesterday all of a sudden the air started to get freezing inside the car as if the AC was on but it wasn't.
    I could feel the car had more of a restrictive feel to it which usually tells me the AC is on.
    So I push the button for the AC to turn it on and everything goes back to normal.
    Basically ECON button OFF = AC is on. ECON button ON = AC is off.
    How the hell is that possible?
    Also, does anyone know how this ECON thing works? Does the AC only go on after a certain temp is reached outside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

That's how it should work. Econ off means aircon is on. It doesn't matter what the outside temp is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

*Kol* wrote: »
    That's how it should work. Econ off means aircon is on. It doesn't matter what the outside temp is.

Really? I really had no clue about that.
    I thought ECON was essentially the AC on button. So is it done that the AC comes on only when I set a certain temperature in the car? Or is it dependent on the outside temp?
    Cause before the ECON button was always off and the AC didn't seem to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

ECON turns off the A/C for maximum "economy" like the button suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I had a Jetta a few years back and I made exactly the same mistake. I had the ECON button on all the time with no cold air coming into the car.

I stupidly thought that ECON was some sort of German word for aircon, and assumed it was the button for switching on the a/c. :o:o:o

The garage gently explained how it worked.

Thanks guys for that. Final 2 questions :) does the AC stay on then every time unless that button is pushed? Or does it just kick in when the 'LO' option is chosen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

As far as I can recall it stays on till you press the ECON button again. I don't recall any LO option on my 2011 Jetta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bear1 wrote: »
    Really? I really had no clue about that.
    I thought ECON was essentially the AC on button. So is it done that the AC comes on only when I set a certain temperature in the car? Or is it dependent on the outside temp?
    Cause before the ECON button was always off and the AC didn't seem to be working.

Maybe because it was too cold outside to warrant aircon?

grogi wrote: »
    Maybe because it was too cold outside to warrant aircon?

I'm leaning towards that reason tbh. Bit of a silly system if you can't decide yourself when the AC is on or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards that reason tbh. Bit of a silly system if you can't decide yourself when the AC is on or not.

It is fully automatic - it will switch the compressor on when it is need.

Advertisement