Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fix or Break for parts (Suzuki Swift)

Options
  • 05-04-2016 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi everyone...I have a 99 swift sitting at home with 60,000 on the clock needs a few things for nct not much but by the time i get the parts, nct and tax for 3 months, I dont think it's going to make much financial sense. Am I better breaking for parts...ie take out engine and gear box , mirrors , window motors glass etc...Anyone got an idea what an engine with good gearbox would go for and would there be people looking for these for a 99 car...also can you get the scrap shell taken away when parts are taken off..Cheers for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, you probably won't be able to sell any parts for weeks/months.
    Can you have car sitting up that long?

Even working cars of that age don't fetch more than a few hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Given the trouble with insurance on older cars these days its probably not worth it to try fix it up as not worth much anyway.
    If you can break it yourself go for it but remember won't be much appeal for part from it.
    I've a 97 Honda Civic that failed NCT I was hoping to maybe fix up but given I havn't really got the space its not worth it for me to either fix or break.
    Some scrapyards offered me 50 quid for it others said I'd have to pay 80 for them to take it. Would be similar for your own I'd imagine, similar size car and that, all your getting is scrap value of metals, they even said themselves they probably wouldn't bother taking parts of it not worth their time or effort.

If you can sell a few parts of it yourself go for it, but maybe ring scrapyard and see what they are willing to take i.e. will they bother with just the shell

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google car recycling for your county, possibly will they come take a shell.

Advertisement