Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits to joining Engineers Ireland for Graduate Engineer

Options
  • 05-04-2016 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

I'll be finishing college in May. The discipline I am doing is Process and Chemical Engineering. I'll be starting work in June as a graduate process engineer in a large food processing plant I have been a member of IChemIE from first year. But it came up today that if you join Engineers Ireland by next month still being a student you get 2016 free, 75% off for 2017, 50% off for 2018, 25% off for 2019 and full membership fees from 2020 at I think around ~270 euro per year membership fees not sure though.

As I am not working for an engineering project management or design company the need for me to become chartered seems to be non exsistent (or am I wrong ?) and even if I did I could become chartered through IChemIE but if I am going to join Engineers Ireland now seems to be the time to join. So ultimately is there any benefits to joining or more so would I be loosing out by not being a member. Is there any real point being a member of both bodies in the type of job I'm going to do ? Tbh the whole chartered side of things confuses me in general should I try to get chartered even if it's not a requirement for my job ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

I don't know anyone who pays their own subscription so hang tough would be my advice as more than likely your future employer will cover the cost.

Advertisement