Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paying UK dealer?

Options
  • 05-04-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Just wondering would any one have any suggestions for what's the best way to pay dealer in UK when you buy a car over there. Don't want to be caught out with exhange rate hidden charges. Would post office change a couple of thousand euro into pounds??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from old thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

A lot of dealers don't want cash these days.

If you're certain on the car, you can send a bank transfer in advance and wait for it to clear. Or you can use Currencymate or one of those places to do a same day transfer.

Otherwise, you can use a debit card but the rate isn't just as good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

VISA credit card can be used too. The % charge can be built into the asking price and gives peace of mind for not having to carry cash depending on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I used to get draft in advance of travelling and give them the issuing bank details and draft number - this allowed them to verify it. Never had an issue.

Would probably use currencyfair.com these days and do a transfer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭traco

I did it with my Visa debit card, just make ssure the cash is in the account and let your bank know.

The rate will be very good, better than cash or draft. In my case when they processed the transaction they had to call and I had to verify my identity so very straightforward. You also benefit from more protection I think as its a Visa transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

I just used transferwise last week. Got a great rate, and very happy with the service. One day for the transfer from my bank to their euro account in Estonia. Then the sterling transfer to the dealer happened pretty much immediately. The only issue is that you specify the Euro amount you are sending and they tell you the sterling amount the recipient will get. I underpaid and paid the balance using my revolut card when I got over to pick the car up, again, getting a much better rate then my Irish bank cards would offer.

Advertisement