Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone for the OH. Upgrade from Galaxy S4??

Options
  • 05-04-2016 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new phone for the other half. She currently has a galaxy s4 which is nearing its end. I want something with as good a spec that will not break the bank.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rraido

Take a look at the Huawei g7. Nice phone for under 200 prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

TheChevron wrote: »
    I'm looking for a new phone for the other half. She currently has a galaxy s4 which is nearing its end. I want something with as good a spec that will not break the bank.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.
    What does she use her phone for - as funny as it sounds people use their phones for fewer calls these days relative to time spent on social media!
    Does she use her camera much?
    Does she browses a lot especially on YouTube - a battery-baiter!
    Does she have great eyesight as resolution can be important in those cases.
    Is her hearing good or does she use the loudspeaker much as volumes can differ greatly between phones.
    Does she use her phone for gaming in which case processor speed is important.
    Does she have her music(photo) library on her phone so a phone with an sd card slot is important.
    Are they accident prone - in which case cost/ease of repairs of such things as glass fronts are important.
    Do they like their accessories(covers etc) - some phones have better accessories than others.
    Do they have big hands - not everyone wants the Motorola Nexus 6

I could go on, but my point is, every phone has its good points, while for me the Nexus 6 ticks all the boxes, the same is certainly not the same for others!
    We are all individuals - as Brian once said:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

I just got a Zuk Z1 on Amazon. Cost about €230 and I am delighted with it. It's exceptionally fast, has stock android (or as close to it as you can get) and the battery is massive. I had an LG G2 which is a bit old at this stage and its streets ahead of it so highly recommended.

Its a little on the large side though, I would have preferred it to be 5" instead of 5.5" so for someone that might have smaller hands it might feel a little too big. It's a similar size to the iPhone 6 i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

All I can say is: find a smartphone with a good camera otherwise she's gonna be mad. :D

Also look at the Samsung A5 2016, I've been told it has a similar camera to the one on the Samsung S6, but I'm not sure so you should check yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

PeteSco wrote: »

Also look at the Samsung A5 2016, I've been told it has a similar camera to the one on the Samsung S6, but I'm not sure so you should check yourself.

It's essentially an s4 in a different shell similar internals and less camera options

Gatling wrote: »
    It's essentially an s4 in a different shell similar internals and less camera options
    What do you mean with less camera options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Thanks for your help.

She would use the camera, social media etc. Not much else.

I was hoping to pay no more than 250.

Thanks for your help.

She would use the camera, social media etc. Not much else.

Aside from the samsung A5 2016 which is a bit pricier, I really don't know what to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

You could do a lot worse than this
    [url] https://www.amazon.es/Motorola-Moto-Play-Smartphone-cámaras/dp/B013P2KAHW/[/url]

Review is here
    [url] http://www.androidauthority.com/motorola-moto-x-play-review-646259/[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Huawei ascend G7. Great phone and less than 200

Guess it depends what you class as a good camera. One of the main things that sets a €200-300 phone apart from a €600-700 one is the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I got my missus an LG G3 to replace her S4. It's quite big but a lovely phone, slightly better specced than an s5 if you go for the 32gb version and reasonably priced.

Advertisement