Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parked - No Tax, Insurance, NCT

Options
  • 05-04-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Short version :
    Car parked on public road with no tax/insurance/nct. What to do?

If you're bored :
    A neighbour across the way has his sons car parked outside the house the past couple of months. The son does not live there. There is space in the driveway for the car, but it's parked outside the house, on the public road. Ordinarily, no problem. But the car is not exactly parked right outside his house. It is parked directly outside his neighbours house (semi-d) and partially blocks her entrance, so she has to drive by her house, turn around and park coming from the other direction. This is to allow for his other son to park outside the house (who does live there).

Just the other day, I was washing my car and I seen this neighbour giving lip to the lady and it was about the car. I walked over to them as he was going back inside and she was upset that he was refusing to move the car. This guy is around 70 and has always been a narky old fecker. His son did move the car a few minutes later, but the following day, it was again back in the same position. I checked the screen and the tax and nct are out a few months and there is no insurance disc.

If it was being driven, I would be inclined to mention this to the gardai (figuring most of us pay our way....and the way of those who don't pay). But, it's just parked up, albeit on a public road. What should be done here? The neighbour won't put the car in the garden and insists on having it parked conveniently for him, but awkwardly for others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not meant to be on public road without tax insurance and NCT all valid afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

depends on how petty you are:

option 1 leave it alone

option 2 report to the gards (not sure if its the council or gards actually) that a car have been abandoned with no tax nct or insurance disc and is therefore a large piece of litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

depends on how petty you are:

option 1 leave it alone

option 2 report to the gards (not sure if its the council or gards actually) that a car have been abandoned with no tax nct or insurance disc and is therefore a large piece of litter.

I think pettiness goes out the window when others are being abused. Didn't concern me until the other day. For the record, this old fart complains when he can't drive up onto my driveway, so he can more easily reverse park into his garden. This happens when another car is parked outside my house and I park, blocking access to my own driveway.

In the past, I have always just laughed it off, as it's no skin off my back, but I seen it was causing a bit of hassle for the lady across the way, who (apparently) politely asked if he could move his car back a couple of feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The council will only get involved if plates are missing.

A guard or traffic warden can issue tickets as that may make him change.

Nothing wrong with saying to local station but leave it another while as they will no either of you reported it. Sometimes not worth the added hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

goz83 wrote: »
    I think pettiness goes out the window when others are being abused. Didn't concern me until the other day. For the record, this old fart complains when he can't drive up onto my driveway, so he can more easily reverse park into his garden. This happens when another car is parked outside my house and I park, blocking access to my own driveway.

In the past, I have always just laughed it off, as it's no skin off my back, but I seen it was causing a bit of hassle for the lady across the way, who (apparently) politely asked if he could move his car back a couple of feet.

in that case 100% call either the clampers of the rubbish people and say the car have been there for weeks with no movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I would normally be of the "mind your business, tomorrow you might be at fault for something small and don't want some busybody generate grievance for you" camp, but the fecker's attitude changes it all. I know the type - "I was here before everyone else" and thinks he owns the place.

Maybe a chat with the Garda and hopefully they will know how to be discreet, like "randomly" happening to take a stroll in the area and "noticing" the car. See, you'll still live there and people like the guy you mention are usually pettily vengeful, regardless of the fact they're in the wrong. Moreover, chances are he'll assume it was the lady next door rather than you, and might take it on her (you know what I mean - property damage and so on).

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I would normally be of the "mind your business, tomorrow you might be at fault for something small and don't want some busybody generate grievance for you" camp, but the fecker's attitude changes it all. I know the type - "I was here before everyone else" and thinks he owns the place.

Maybe a chat with the Garda and hopefully they will know how to be discreet, like "randomly" happening to take a stroll in the area and "noticing" the car. See, you'll still live there and people like the guy you mention are usually pettily vengeful, regardless of the fact they're in the wrong. Moreover, chances are he'll assume it was the lady next door rather than you, and might take it on her (you know what I mean - property damage and so on).

That was exactly my thinking. I don't want to cause her any trouble than she has already living next door to a bully. His sons are really decent guys and apologise for him all the time.

Thanks for the posts lads. I might mention it to the local gards and see what they think. It's a pretty minor thing, but is on the wrong end of the minor scale with the bad attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Short version :
    Car parked on public road with no tax/insurance/nct. What to do?

If you're bored :
    A neighbour across the way has his sons car parked outside the house the past couple of months. The son does not live there. There is space in the driveway for the car, but it's parked outside the house, on the public road. Ordinarily, no problem. But the car is not exactly parked right outside his house. It is parked directly outside his neighbours house (semi-d) and partially blocks her entrance, so she has to drive by her house, turn around and park coming from the other direction. This is to allow for his other son to park outside the house (who does live there).

Just the other day, I was washing my car and I seen this neighbour giving lip to the lady and it was about the car. I walked over to them as he was going back inside and she was upset that he was refusing to move the car. This guy is around 70 and has always been a narky old fecker. His son did move the car a few minutes later, but the following day, it was again back in the same position. I checked the screen and the tax and nct are out a few months and there is no insurance disc.

If it was being driven, I would be inclined to mention this to the gardai (figuring most of us pay our way....and the way of those who don't pay). But, it's just parked up, albeit on a public road. What should be done here? The neighbour won't put the car in the garden and insists on having it parked conveniently for him, but awkwardly for others.

The neighbour should contact the Gardai and/or Council .......... you should do nothing ......... why are you even getting involved or concerning yourself with this situation?

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The neighbour should contact the Gardai and/or Council .......... you should do nothing ......... why are you even getting involved or concerning yourself with this situation?

Because they are a good neighbour and looking out for the more vulnerable ones which in my book is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Yup if it were my Mother I'd like to think someone would do something about it, or bring it to my attention.

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    Mind your own business or continue to have little else to be doing.

That will get you far in life.

Seriously op asked honest question they aren't looking to get neighbour caught out more to do with the old fools attitude to another elderly person.

If you can make life a little easier and cut out stress its a good thing.

The car wouldn't be there if it was blocking my driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The council will only get involved if plates are missing.

They send out letters to owners of untaxed + uninsured vehicles they see parked up on the road with plates. They have very little to do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just post him a letter telling him you're reporting it to the guards next week unless it's moved into the driveway, and that you have photo evidence that it's been parked there for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

That will get you far in life.

Seriously op asked honest question they aren't looking to get neighbour caught out more to do with the old fools attitude to another elderly person.

If you can make life a little easier and cut out stress its a good thing.

The car wouldn't be there if it was blocking my driveway.

Sorry responded to the short version. Ye suppose if the other lady genuinely has to go and turn around rather than drive straight in I would eventually if they refused in a unmannerly way etc. ask them to pay the road tax for the priviledge of parking outside my house or I'll be popping into the local station for a chat with a sound guard. No need to be sneaky and sly about what your doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That was exactly my thinking. I don't want to cause her any trouble than she has already living next door to a bully. His sons are really decent guys and apologise for him all the time.

Thanks for the posts lads. I might mention it to the local gards and see what they think. It's a pretty minor thing, but is on the wrong end of the minor scale with the bad attitude.

If the sons are decent could you mention to them that the car is causing parking trouble?

Del2005 wrote: »
    If the sons are decent could you mention to them that the car is causing parking trouble?

Not me personally, I haven't said a thing to them, but then, I haven't seen them myself for a while. One lives there, but I don't see him around much lately other than when he moved the car....it was likely the old man who moved it back. They shouldn't have to be the ones getting hassled either for their dads behaviour. I would have no issue telling him to move his illegally parked car, but tbh, he is an awful grouch and this just bothered me and I would only get more pi$$ed off than I was. The car makes it difficult for both myself and the neighbour beside me to exit our driveways too, but not so much to complain. An extra few seconds is not the end of the world. The nasty behaviour is what really drew my attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Treat others as you'd like to be treated; if he's happy to abuse people and act the cú*t then he should expect his neighbours not to give him any leeway.

Advertisement