Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National School Registers on FindMyPast

Options
  • 05-04-2016 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I still have not learned to read the small print. Just noticed this now. It means records that could be available are not because of a possible date issue with one child in a class. Darn it!

"Please note that those children born after 1915 have been redacted for legal reasons. This means that in some cases images cannot be shown if they include one of these children."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

You think that they would just black out the names (like they did with the 1939 register) that are affected by the 100 year rule rather than redacting the whole image.

Did you contact Find My Past about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

No, I didn't contact them. Didn't think me calling them would make that much of difference to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    No, I didn't contact them. Didn't think me calling them would make that much of difference to be honest.

Your probably right. From their point of view it's only a trivial amount of names to release the whole image for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Probably best to drop into Eneclan once they have their museum set up in CHQ to try get that sorted out rather than getting onto FMP support in terms of getting something done about that.

It is a bit overkill on the privacy front but seeing as you're dealing with living people here it is understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

P_1 wrote: »
    Probably best to drop into Eneclan once they have their museum set up in CHQ to try get that sorted out rather than getting onto FMP support in terms of getting something done about that..
    It’s not Eneclann’s ‘museum’ – It is a private venture financially unconnected with Eneclann although they are associated with it in an advisory capacity.

@Jelly - You’re not the first and you will not be the last. FMP is not IMO alone among genealogy companies in running the risk of a telling-off from the ASAI for misleading advertising. I’d wager that most are guilty of ‘puffery’, exploiting the inexperience or lack of knowledge of consumers and the small print rarely is of sufficient size / prominence to be clearly seen (e.g. the direct debit after a ‘free’ trial).

• Advertisement

Nothing to be done I know, just have to deal with it and get on with something else until time allows more information to be released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Interesting bit on Irish National Education sources from Ireland Reaching Out here

Thank you for the link pedro. Very interesting reading. Will indeed be checking back again and again.

Advertisement