Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best small car for elderly lady

Options
  • 05-04-2016 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm currently searching for a small car for my 81 yr old mum. She drives an 14 yr old Honda civic. However would like a new or newer and smaller car. She drives only around the local area, but being able to drive means the world to her. She finds her current car a bit too big to manage in terms of parking etc.

Any make or model suggestions or experiences most welcome.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Skoda Fabia? Good choice of engines and autos available. Also can get factory parking sensors and all that to make life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Vw up /seat Mii / skoda citigo, in auto , 3 names same car , nice high seating position .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Honda Jazz, available in Auto and a nice economical engine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Another vote for Honda Jazz. Similar layout but more compact and practically bullet proof. Must be one of the most reliable cars on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yup, Jazz is reckoned to be most reliable car and with auto box driving it is a breeze
    http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Jazz these days is probably as big as a 14 Civic. I'd look at the Kia Picanto or Hyundai i10, both are compact and have long warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Nissan Micra would be appealing to someone like her also. You don't mention budget but if she's buying new scrappage deals are something to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Oulwans traditionally love Micras alright.
    Less so these days though. Others do it better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

I know a couple of elderly people with Hyundai I10s and who are very happy with them in terms of size and driving. One has an automatic I10 which isn't at all bad to drive - its a proper torque converter automatic. Seats are a bit flat but it feels more spacious inside than you'd expect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement