Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade plates question

Options
  • 05-04-2016 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Just a quick question, is it legal to drive a car that has no NCT using trade plates. I understand that it's ok to use them when a car has no tax but i can't find anything regarding no NCT.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Trade plates allow garages to drive cars for testing purposes after repairs. This kind of implies that the vehicles may be not roadworthy anyway so the NCT is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

shietpilot wrote: »
    Trade plates allow garages to drive cars for testing purposes after repairs. This kind of implies that the vehicles may be not roadworthy anyway so the NCT is irrelevant.

Only to/from a workshop to enable a repair, repaint or fitting of a part. Testing must be immediately after completion of construction or repair.

Driving to/from an NCT centre dosn't fit into that description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

GM228 wrote: »
    Only to/from a workshop to enable a repair, repaint or fitting of a part. Testing must be immediately after completion of construction or repair.

Driving to/from an NCT centre dosn't fit into that description.

But you don't need an not to drive to an nct centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

ORVEE wrote: »
    Just a quick question, is it legal to drive a car that has no NCT using trade plates. I understand that it's ok to use them when a car has no tax but i can't find anything regarding no NCT.

Wexford County Council have extensive information on the use of trade plates

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/MotorTax/TradePlates/Title,5931,en.html

"proceding to or from any place of the licensing or inspection of the vehicle by a licensing authority" seems to cover a NCT visit.

Tigger wrote: »
    But you don't need an not to drive to an nct centre

You do!

The only exemption is for a car which has up to now been exclusively used on an off shore island which is exempt for 24 hours before the test on production of proof of the test booking!

The day of the test exemption was repealed in 2003.

• Advertisement

Wexford County Council have extensive information on the use of trade plates

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/MotorTax/TradePlates/Title,5931,en.html

"proceding to or from any place of the licensing or inspection of the vehicle by a licensing authority" seems to cover a NCT visit.

We are missing the point of the question! The question from the OP is can you drive without valid NCT cert, not can you drive to the NCT!

The answer is no you can't!

Trade plates only allow you drive with no vehicle registration, tax or insurance disc displayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

We are missing the point of the question! The question from the OP is can you drive without valid NCT cert, not can you drive to the NCT!

Trade plates only allow you drive with no vehicle registration, tax or insurance disc displayed.

Whoops, my mistake. Sorry.

If trade plates allow you to drive without vehicle registration, tax or insurance disc displayed then there is no way a Garda would make an issue of the NCT.

Edit: Can you provide a link to confirmation of the limitations of the trade plates? I would be interested in reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

Yes, this is my question. I'm not driving to a NCT centre. A mate of mine wants me to collect a car for him which he has just bought and has no nct cert. The car was tested last week and only failed on emissions. So i was just wondering can i use the plates or do i need to get a car transporter.(which i don't want to do)

Whoops, my mistake. Sorry.

If trade plates allow you to drive without vehicle registration, tax or insurance disc displayed then there is no way a Garda would make an issue of the NCT.

Yes a Garda can make an issue of the NCT. I think your missing the point of trade plates, they basically allow someone in the trade be exempt from vehicle registration and licensing and excise and duties. They don't exempt someone in the trade from driving vehicles which are subject to mandatory vehicle testing. In other words the licence doesn't allow them drive a car which is potentially dangerous/defective which may not be up to the mandatory legal requirements.
    Can you provide a link to confirmation of the limitations of the trade plates? I would be interested in reading them.

Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations, 1992
    8. (1) Subject to the provision of sub-article (2) of this Article, a trade licence shall not be used by any person other than the motor trader to whom it is issued and that motor trader shall not allow or suffer the licence to be used by any other person.

(2) A trade licence may not be used by a person other than the motor trader to whom it was issued unless the licence holder or a person bona fide in the licence holder's employment and acting under that holder's authority is present and in charge of the vehicle or where the vehicle is constructed for use by one person only and is being used by a prospective purchaser for the purpose of test or trial, with the knowledge and approval of the licence holder.

9. Subject to the provisions of Article 8 of these Regulations, a vehicle may be used in a public place under a trade licence only in the following circumstances:

(i) for the testing or trial of a vehicle, semi-trailer or trailer in the ordinary course of construction or repair, or immediately after completion of construction or repair;

(ii) for the demonstration of a vehicle, semi-trailer or trailer for the benefit of a prospective purchaser;

(iii) for delivering a vehicle, semi-trailer or trailer from the premises of the holder of the licence to the premises of another motor trader or removing it from the premises of another motor trader to the licence holder's own premises;

(iv) for proceeding to a point off the premises of the holder of the licence in order to render a service to a vehicle which has broken down or returning to a garage with a vehicle on tow;

(v) for proceeding to or returning from a workshop in which a body, machine, appliance, device or accessory is to be or has been fitted to the vehicle, semi-trailer or trailer or it is to be or has been painted or repaired;

(vi) for proceeding from the premises of a motor trader to a place from which the vehicle, semi-trailer or trailer is to be exported or transported by train, ship or aircraft or for proceeding to the premises of such motor trader from a place to which it has been so transported;

(vii) for proceeding to or returning from any garage, auction room or other place at which a vehicle, semi-trailer or trailer is usually stored or usually or periodically offered for sale and at which the vehicle, semi-trailer or trailer is to be or has been stored or is to be or has been offered for sale;

(viii) for proceeding to or from a weighbridge for ascertaining the weight of a vehicle, semi-trailer or trailer for the purpose of licensing the vehicle or to or from any place for the licensing or inspection of the vehicle by a licensing authority.

The Finance (No. 2) Act, 1992 excludes them from paying for and displaying Tax.
    21. (5) Sections 5 (5) and 13 (1) of the Act of 1920, section 1 (1) of the Act of 1952 and sections 71 and 73 of the Finance Act, 1976 , shall not apply to a vehicle at any time during which a trade licence is exhibited on the vehicle in accordance with this section.

The Vehicle Registration and Taxation (No. 2) Regulations, 1992 allows them to use the vehicle unregistered.
    9. The conditions, restrictions and limitations under which an unregistered vehicle may be used in a public place by an authorised person in accordance with section 136 (8) of the Act shall be as follows:

( d ) the vehicle shall be one to which subsection (6) of section 21 of the Finance (No. 2) Act, 1992 (No. 28 of 1992), applies and there shall be exhibited on it in accordance with that section a trade licence issued under that section.

And finally the Road Traffic (Insurance Disc) Regulations, 1984 allows them to drive a vehicle without displaying an Insurance disc.
    2. (2) These Regulations shall not apply to—

( c ) a vehicle exhibiting a trade licence;

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know of someone who was fined for no nct while using trade plates. They didn't make a deal of the borrowed trade plates funnily enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement