Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beginners martial art (women)

Options
  • 04-04-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm 36 and looking to start from beginner level and try out a martial art. Looking for somewhere around dublin 4 (don't mind a bit of a cycle) but mainly want somewhere female friendly and welcome beginners. Would need evening classes as with 3 kids I just can't fit it in during the day. I'm fairly fit and do bootcamp but really want to give it up and learn something while keeping fit. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tfarrell wrote: »
    I'm 36 and looking to start from beginner level and try out a martial art. Looking for somewhere around dublin 4 (don't mind a bit of a cycle) but mainly want somewhere female friendly and welcome beginners. Would need evening classes as with 3 kids I just can't fit it in during the day. I'm fairly fit and do bootcamp but really want to give it up and learn something while keeping fit. Any suggestions?

I suggest you check out Wild Geese Martial Arts in Pearse Street.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Have you an idea if you would prefer striking (boxing, kickboxing, karate, tkd etc) or grappling (judo, bjj, wrestling etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

My teacher is in Harolds X and its nicely mixed these days - plus this art is ideal for women and self defense

https://www.facebook.com/BujinkanNamiryuDojo/info?tab=page_info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I'm 36 and looking to start from beginner level and try out a martial art. Looking for somewhere around dublin 4 (don't mind a bit of a cycle) but mainly want somewhere female friendly and welcome beginners.

I'm sure Scott Langley has a class that would suit you?

Douglas Doyle in Dundrum / Balally has a good class, plenty of females training there. His website isn't great, mind you.

The JKA-SI folks run a friendly club in Aungier Street, open to beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tfarrell

Thanks a million for all the replies. I don't think I'd like judo.. more karate / muay thai or something along those lines. I know I'm a bit late starting and have no notions of being anything great but I'd like to be learning something along with keeping fit. Appreciate the help!

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for all the replies. I don't think I'd like judo.. more karate / muay thai or something along those lines. I know I'm a bit late starting and have no notions of being anything great but I'd like to be learning something along with keeping fit. Appreciate the help!

Then I would second Zen-65s recommendation of the JKA-SI club on Aungier street if you are going for Karate and the times are suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

Youre never too old to start :)
    Depends on where you live.
    On the southside, theres weapons and empty hands cross training in Drimnagh and Kingswood. We also train in blanch on a Sunday.

Then theres the Straight blast gym on the Maas Road. They offer bjj classes and striking too. Everyone in there is really nice.
    Theres also Spartan fitness in Belgard in Tallaght.
    And Liam Dale teaches in GRASP martial arts in Tallaght. Hes very well respected in martial arts. Best of luck with your new venture :)

When I say south Dublin I'm just in sandy mount area. I think ranelagh might suit me.. I'm not going to lie I'm absolutely crapping myself but it's the intial first class that will be the most nerve wrecking after that I should be okay... right????

When I say south Dublin I'm just in sandy mount area. I think ranelagh might suit me.. I'm not going to lie I'm absolutely crapping myself but it's the intial first class that will be the most nerve wrecking after that I should be okay... right????

Only personal experience that i have with Scott (Ranelagh instructor) is that his book is good.

Whatever the first class where you get hit by a decent strength hit will be the most nerve wrecking. This may or may not be the first class.

Well, Im 45 and have some experience in martial arts and i want to focus on inproving my kicking so i went to my first ever kickboxing class tonight. Before i started, i had butterflies in my stomach, but i ended up enjoying it so much and learning too. Everyone was soo nice and helpful too.
    If rathmines suits. I recommend the White Crane Kung fu training. The instructors are very good and they also have an option to do sparring and weapons too.

• Advertisement

I suggest you check out Wild Geese Martial Arts in Pearse Street.

I see they do kickboxing and the times are great, any idea if many women go here tho?

Anyone know if theres many beginners in Wild Geese, specifically women. Id hate to be holding a class back because im a newbie. Times of the kickboxing class look ideal but i cant find a contact number. I think i need to just bite the bullet now.. talking about it too long !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Why don't you contact the club, or look through their time tables.

As regards holding anyone back, you won't. Even clubs which don't have a beginners class are (or should have) coaches who are used to taking beginners along with the rest of the class.

Try not focus on a female only class, tbh I grapple and have done kickboxing with females and there's really nothing to worry about.

If you do have any specific concerns which you'd rather not post about feel free to PM me. We have a few females using this forum too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Anyone know if theres many beginners in Wild Geese, specifically women. Id hate to be holding a class back because im a newbie. Times of the kickboxing class look ideal but i cant find a contact number. I think i need to just bite the bullet now.. talking about it too long !

It's been a while since I was in Wild Geese, but the last time I was there were definitely women training in their K1 kickboxing / Muay Thai class.

The breakdown of men versus women in Wild Geese as a whole is pretty good compared to some places, if that's important. I can understand how it would be reassuring if you're just starting and a little apprehensive. After a few classes I suspect you won't care anymore.

You could also head south out to Warriors Muay Thai in Monkstown, according to google maps it's a 27 minute cycle.

As Makikomi says, try not to focus on being a beginner and on the same note, try not to focous on being a female either. I know being the only girl can be nervewrecking and also make you feel very self consious. But you are there to learn and that fweling will soon pass. Everyone has a first day. And teachers are there because they want to teach and pass on their art.

Wild geese martial arts and fitness have a facebook page, you could send them a message that way or email them.

Very best of luck in your training. If you have any other worrys and concerns, please dont hesitate to ask.

Thanks a mil for the reassurance. I bottled it yesterday but I am 100% going on Thursday.. will go a few mins early and try suss it out. I think id be good its just getting through the first couple of classes.

Has anyone seen the first kung foo panda 😂😂😂 thats my vision 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

bjj can look a bit daunting at first, but the people are always helpful and very friendly.

Also it is invaluable for self defence. I think if someone really wants to know how to defend themselves they have to face up to the fact that grappling is a reality. It's not flashy or pretty to look at but most fights usually end up in some sort of a clinch.

Advertisement