Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Finds

Options
  • 04-04-2016 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Would be interested to hear of anything interesting you have discovered while doing your family history research.
    I really only expected to find out names, addresses and dates but it's surprising what else has cropped up, for example I discovered that my Great Grandparents were 1st cousins (as an aside, would this have been common? They married in the 1920s)
    Also found out my Great Grandfather was a POW in Limburg during WW1, my family never knew this as it seems his son (My Grandfather) was never told about it.

Would love to hear if any of you have made any interesting or surprising discoveries :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Were the cousins CoI? In my experience, it's much more common in smaller Protestant communities in Ireland than in the RCC.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

No, they were catholic. My family tree is all over the place now with them being related, it can get very confusing, as if it isn't confusing enough already with them all naming their kids after themselves and their parents and siblings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I would have been very disappointed if all I had found was names, addresses and dates.

Yes, I have discovered a number of stories, like a great-grandfather who joined the army in the 1850s and deserted a number of times, finally ending up in India before making his way back to Ireland to establish a family.

I like to write mini-biographies of ancestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

My great granny did time in Tralee women's prison (only a week but still).

My grandmother's house was named after the townland her father came from so a few things dropped into place after that.

My 5th great aunt married the manager of Lagavulin whisky distillery. Hic!

A very distant cousin appears to have murdered his wife but got off because the only witness, their daughter, thought it was a dream and was not a reliable witness.

Another distant cousin was killed with her lover in a car accident in an underpass in Paris. Alot of people think there was a cover-up and that she was murdered ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

-Leelo- wrote: »
    ........I discovered that my Great Grandparents were 1st cousins (as an aside, would this have been common? They married in the 1920s)

It would have been very, very uncommon. Are you sure? I understood that the RC Church did not allow first cousins to marry and that second cousins could, but only with a dispensation from the bishop. Third cousins and further out did marry each other and it’s common to see queries here for the translation of the Latin ‘dispensatio – consang(uinati) in tertio grado’ or ‘disp. consang. 3o’ (dispensation - relatives in the third degree - i.e. second cousins). What does their marriage record state?

In several hundred marriages in my tree I've only one first cousin marriage that's in a branch of my family (1750's, C of E, wealthy) and they had no children.
    Although the children of first cousin marriages have double the chance of genetic abnormality, the risks remain small at 5% instead of 3% for those who are unrelated.

• Advertisement

shar01 wrote: »
    Another distant cousin was killed with her lover in a car accident in an underpass in Paris. Alot of people think there was a cover-up and that she was murdered ;)

Rowdy lot, those Roches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

It would have been very, very uncommon. Are you sure? I understood that the RC Church did not allow first cousins to marry and that second cousins could, but only with a dispensation from the bishop. Third cousins and further out did marry each other and it’s common to see queries here for the translation of the Latin ‘dispensatio – consang(uinati) in tertio grado’ or ‘disp. consang. 3o’ (dispensation - relatives in the third degree - i.e. second cousins). What does their marriage record state?

In several hundred marriages in my tree I've only one first cousin marriage that's in a branch of my family (1750's, C of E, wealthy) and they had no children.
    Although the children of first cousin marriages have double the chance of genetic abnormality, the risks remain small at 5% instead of 3% for those who are unrelated.

One of my uncles married his first cousin, in the 1930s, and RC.

The church granted a dispensation for anything, provided the appropriate offering was paid to the designated officer. I think the parish priest could grant a dispensation for third cousins, the bishop for second cousins, and I suspect it may have been the pope for first cousins. If my uncle was still alive, I could ask him, but alas that is not the case.

If a couple were too poor to afford the offering, there was probably a temptation to move to another distant, parish, and chance their arm. They would not have got away with it in the twentieth century, but the chances were better before the church, and postal system became organised.

In pre famine rural Ireland, there was relatively little movement, and people generally married their third,fourth and fifth cousins. Every so often, some new blood appeared in the parish, enough to avoid inbreeding.
    A cousin visited one of our ancestral homelands, met people, and was advised that most people in the area were distant relatives of us.

[QUOTE=shar01;99292098

Another distant cousin was killed with her lover in a car accident in an underpass in Paris. Alot of people think there was a cover-up and that she was murdered ;)[/QUOTE]

A more sensible belief would be that it was manslaughter. Her boyfriend's father employed a drunken chauffeur, who was unfit to drive.
    Gross negligence at the very least.

A lot of family historians try to prove a link to that family. My only connection is that her ancestor applauded my ancestor's equestrian performance back in 1868.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

tabbey wrote: »
    A more sensible belief would be that it was manslaughter. Her boyfriend's father employed a drunken chauffeur, who was unfit to drive.
    Gross negligence at the very least.

A lot of family historians try to prove a link to that family. My only connection is that her ancestor applauded my ancestor's equestrian performance back in 1868.

Ah sure you couldn't be keeping up with them. For me it's through the husband of my 3rd cousin twice removed.

I just love the fact that on my paternal side there's a connection to a member of the Ulster Volunteers while on the maternal side a possible connection to Civil War era IRA. That's what I'm trying to confirm at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The most remarkable thing I discovered is that my GGgrandfather and his family emigrated during the famine and only two of them came back. The trail they left and story I was able to weave from it was extremely moving actually particularly since his name was Thomas Brunkard too.

His brother Samuel was left behind and whomever had him ended up leaving him in the North Dublin Union where he was described as "insane" - catchall phrase for any number of intellectual disabilities.

I've found newspaper ads from Thomas looking for his brother William who was separated from the family.

All of my great grand uncles and aunts were named after the brothers and sisters that didn't make it back.

On a more positive note I found out that one of my cousins had a child "out of wedlock" in the height of the theocracy. The family gathered around her and she wasn't sent away nor was her son taken from her.

Just yesterday I read how my GGgrandmother died in a house fire right around the corner from where I'm working at the moment.

To be honest in the main everything has been fairly benign but when it has been heavy it has been really heavy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I have two incidents of first cousins marrying and both of them are RC.

In one case the couple, who married in Dublin in 1893, had nine children, eight of whom died young or did not marry.
    The one daughter who did marry ended up living in Mount Pleasant Buildings even though the families her parents came from were well to do. She had one child who died in infancy and she herself died within about a decade of marriage.
    I often wonder if this family's demise had anything to do with the parents being first cousins.

In the other case of first cousins marrying the parents of the bride were a brother and sister of the parents of the groom which I'm told makes them double cousins.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I often wonder if this family's demise had anything to do with the parents being first cousins.

No, it would only be a problem if successive generations were marrying very close relatives.
    The royal houses of Europe are an example of a moderate level of inbreeding.

No, it would only be a problem if successive generations were marrying very close relatives.

Good point on the genetics tabbey but I'm also wondering if the first cousins were cut adrift from their families after they tied the knot but it's probably not a question I can ever answer.

Genealogy Forum Mod

...I understood that the RC Church did not allow first cousins to marry and that second cousins could, but only with a dispensation from the bishop...

This latin note appears to refer to permission from the then Archbishop of Dublin William Walsh.

Bthv9vT.png

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Good point on the genetics tabbey but I'm also wondering if the first cousins were cut adrift from their families after they tied the knot but it's probably not a question I can ever answer.

It's amazing the amount of rural intermarriage I've noted from COI cousins. I'm sure that this was all driven by practical concerns relating to maintaining ownership of land or expanding ownership.

When they did marry catholics the next generation was always catholic too.

Fair comment, it could cause friction in some families, but my suspicion is that in many cases, these close marriages are arranged by the family.
    Not always a recipe for success.

This latin note appears to refer to permission from the then Archbishop of Dublin William Walsh.

Bthv9vT.png

Yes that is clearly first cousins being dispensated by the archbishop.

Of course Walsh was so strong in his views that he may have thought he was as good as the pope. It was notable that his predecessor was made a cardinal, but Walsh was not. The Vatican was not amused with his outspoken views.

Fair comment, it could cause friction in some families, but my suspicion is that in many cases, these close marriages are arranged by the family.
    Not always a recipe for success.
    I hadn't thought of an arranged marriage.
    Yes that is clearly first cousins being dispensated by the archbishop.

Of course Walsh was so strong in his views that he may have thought he was as good as the pope. It was notable that his predecessor was made a cardinal, but Walsh was not. The Vatican was not amused with his outspoken views.
    I didn't know that Walsh was such a nice man but I'm not surprised either.;)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

I discovered yesterday that my great great grand uncle was the first person to be prosecuted under the Veterinary Surgeons Act, 1931. He illegally performed operations on horses for farmers who couldn't afford to pay a professional vet to do the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Growing up, we would always hear about how my grandfather's uncle from Donegal was boxing champion of the British Navy. I figured it was one of those exaggerated family stories that are thrown around all the time and maybe he had been a boxer and been in the navy, but was unlikely to be anyone of note. Well, turns out he was indeed two-time heavyweight boxing champion of the British Army and Navy and boxed professionally for 15 years. By no means a top-tier fighter in the general boxing world, but someone who won more than he lost.

What I never heard about growing up was how at one point he won a medal for being the most accurate gunner in the entire navy, or how he survived the torpedoing of his ship in 1914, or how he was at the Battle of Jutland.

And then, the most interesting thing of all: Last year I received an e-mail from a lady in England. One of this man's medals had randomly been found on a beach there. The family found a web page I had made for him, got in touch with me, and ended up sending it on. It's from 1901. I offered to pay and they originally just asked me to cover the shipping, but then ended up sending it on for free. How about that! I have it here next to me right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

It's amazing the amount of rural intermarriage I've noted from COI cousins. I'm sure that this was all driven by practical concerns relating to maintaining ownership of land or expanding ownership.

I've been similarly surprised. And I don't think it was a question of land. I think it's more sociological. There would be few unattached people of the right religion and class in a district. And for a man, a wife might be cheaper than a housekeeper. And for a woman, a husband of decent repute might be preferable to living on the charity of a brother, and perhaps eventually of a nephew.

Alan259 wrote: »
    I discovered yesterday that my great great grand uncle was the first person to be prosecuted under the Veterinary Surgeons Act, 1931. He illegally performed operations on horses for farmers who couldn't afford to pay a professional vet to do the operation.

That’s interesting. I’d guess he got off, unless he was calling himself a Vet. Section 46 (3) has an ‘out’ clause,
    Do you know what the result was? Amazing what genealogy will entice you to research! :o

That’s interesting. I’d guess he got off, unless he was calling himself a Vet. Section 46 (3) has an ‘out’ clause,
    Do you know what the result was? Amazing what genealogy will entice you to research! :o

He was charged £15 and told not to do it again. :)

Here is the advertisement that was published for him in the newspaper and the account of his trial and fine that were published in the various newspapers:

Thanks for putting that up. reading the press coverage it was his adverts that caused him the grief. The ‘Authorities’ were looking for a test case and he walked right into it. I love the “Was he wearing a white coat?” and the response “No Sir, he was wearing no coat at all!”

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

RGM wrote: »

how he survived the torpedoing of his ship in 1914, or how he was at the Battle of Jutland.

Sounds like he might have been on the same ship as my great grandfather. His ship struck a mine in the Dardanelles and was also in the Battle of Jutland. He was also in the Battle of the Falklands in 1914. Like you, I never heard of his exploits while growing up. All recent discoveries.

Thanks for putting that up. reading the press coverage it was his adverts that caused him the grief. The ‘Authorities’ were looking for a test case and he walked right into it. I love the “Was he wearing a white coat?” and the response “No Sir, he was wearing no coat at all!”

Thanks for your viewpoint. :) I love all these unexpected stories and findings we find in the course of our research. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

A great grand uncle served time in Mounthoy twice, ran for office twice and is the reason we have a censor.

A GGgrandfather was one of the civilians to die in 1916 & was apparently carrying messages across the city on a regular basis for Collins while his sons were serving in the British army (they were in Europe during the rising).

A GGGgrand uncle was an admiral in the British navy & his records are still sealed to this day (something terrible or something awesome).

There's a very strong possibility I'm related to Henry Ford (still trying to work that one out).

One of my great aunts painted a portrait that still hangs in the white house. Her sister worked there & presented it to JFK after his visit to Ireland.

[QUOTE=OU812;9950347.

A GGgrandfather was one of the civilians to die in 1916 & was apparently carrying messages across the city on a regular basis for Collins while his sons were serving in the British army (they were in Europe during the rising).
    [/QUOTE]

Must have been resurrected between 1916 and 1921.

I think posters want to have real, evidence backed, interesting finds, not oral history, which is usually at best only partially true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A great-uncle, who lived into my lifetime, served in the merchant marine in the Great War. His ship was captured by a German airplane in the South Pacific in June 1917, and my father's Uncle Peter spent the rest of the war as a POW.

[Evidence-backed, as tabbey demands, and unknown in the family until I came across the story.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Must have been resurrected between 1916 and 1921.

I think posters want to have real, evidence backed, interesting finds, not oral history, which is usually at best only partially true.

Not quite sure what you're trying to say here Tabby.

Advertisement