Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time driver at 26

Options
  • 04-04-2016 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

Well folks, I have zero experience regarding picking out and buying a car so Im hoping someone with better knowledge can give some sound input!
    I'm a 26 year old male, hold a full licence but have never drove. I have the full licence for years but only got it as it was my mission to not waste a summer. I'm thinking this summer might be the year to get a car, so I'm still in the early stages of research.
    The simple problem I have is choosing what to buy.
    Average milage ie. work mixed with longer weekend journeys.
    I would have a preference for diesel but am open to pretty much any suggestion as long as the car is decent and goes.
    The usual low insurance/tax would also be helpful.
    Budget is around 3500 but if the car is worth it and the choice is logical I'd stretch to 4500.
    So, what sort of makes/models should I be considering?
    Anything to avoid?
    Dealer best or private for a bargain?

Also, will my insurance still be as if I'm 18 and starting driving, or does the age make any difference?
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,194 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to get some insurance quotes on cars you are interested in, in order to see what you can afford to insure. At 26 with no driving experience insurance is still going to be expensive and will ultimately decide what car you will buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

I know I will have to get quotes. I'm not at that stage yet. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what type of cars would be ideal. Then I can look into getting quotes on these cars.

Advertisement