Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG/ FF education policy-holy cow!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

It was Labour that was the problem in the previous government because it hates teachers - that's consistent with its ideology, i.e. hatred of what the far-left regards as the "bourgeoisie".

I recall that there was a motion against Ruairí Quinn's plan for Junior Cycle assessment at the Fine Gael Ard Fheis a couple of years ago.

As for Fianna Fáil, it was chastened by its landslide defeat in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I read the education manifestos and despite not wanted to vote in fine fáil I ended up doing just that because the Fine Gael and labour education policies were horrific. I didn't want to vote Sinn Fein and independents aren't going to have much influence on education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

School autonomy means one clear message for teachers-you are to blame for kids not performing. Anyone who really wants to know what is going on in Education should get their hands on Fightback convention 2016 document.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

School autonomy means one clear message for teachers-you are to blame for kids not performing. Anyone who really wants to know what is going on in Education should get their hands on Fightback convention 2016 document.

It was quite long and came with a clear ideological perspective, which is fair enough but needs to be said. Although while being fair I would worry if that was the ideology the union were going to follow more than a smell of the Corbyn et al gang that are in control of Labour in the UK. Never endng dispute ala Joe Higgins seems to be the idea no matter how well researched the position appears to be.

Also it was well able to use the facts that suited their view. It again and again emphasised the decline in turn out between the first CP vote and the second CP vote while ignoring the large increase in the second HR vote. Interesting I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ClassicE15

School autonomy means one clear message for teachers-you are to blame for kids not performing. .

Not only that, but schools will be allocated their own budgets, out of which they fund their own employment. This means hiring teachers on the cheap. It's the same issue in the Academies in the UK. It doesn't make for pleasant chatter sitting next to someone in the staff room with the exact same experience as you getting paid a higher number.

• Advertisement

Is there any evidence that there will be "academies" in this country? We don't even know who the new education minister will be.

Is there any evidence that there will be "academies" in this country? We don't even know who the new education minister will be.

Advancing school autonomy aims to decrease the involvement of the State in the running of schools, which I mentioned happened in the UK also. In the UK, this resulted in academies. In Ireland, school autonomy might never materialise.

ClassicE15 wrote: »
    Advancing school autonomy aims to decrease the involvement of the State in the running of schools, which I mentioned happened in the UK also. In the UK, this resulted in academies. In Ireland, school autonomy might never materialise.
    I thought that teachers would be pleased with less state involvement in schools.

I thought that teachers would be pleased with less state involvement in schools.

That's what you would think! However you could imagine how the mindset of schools would change to that of a business if they got more autonomous. You'd be judged by the child's performance, not your own

ClassicE15 wrote: »
    That's what you would think! However you could imagine how the mindset of schools would change to that of a business if they got more autonomous. You'd be judged by the child's performance, not your own
    I believe that, in any case, "school autonomy", as it described here, is unlikely to happen in Ireland. Ireland is different from England in many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Did anybody respond to the Department of Education public consultation document? It gave people the opportunity to outline their concerns and point out any areas they felt might be positive.
    https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Events/Advancing-School-Autonomy-in-Ireland/Advancing-School-Autonomy-in-Ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Did anybody respond to the Department of Education public consultation document? It gave people the opportunity to outline their concerns and point out any areas they felt might be positive.
    https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Events/Advancing-School-Autonomy-in-Ireland/Advancing-School-Autonomy-in-Ireland.html

I'm not a fan of these public consultation things, they'll get what they want out of it before its been even written.but I'll have a look anyhow,
    Where was it advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Consultation closed 29th Jan. Articles about it were in INTO magazine, INTO website and education press I think.

Advertisement