Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 6 2 litre petrol 2013 onwards

Options
  • 04-04-2016 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying the latest model mazda 6 petrol version probably 2013 or 2014.
    I don't do big mileage so would prefer petrol. The MPG and tax on them are decent.
    I would prefer a 2 litre over a 1.4 turbo.
    I assume very few were sold in the south so would have to go north or to the UK to get one.
    Has anybody got one and would they recommend it.
    Has anyone test driven or any experience of them ?
    Are they as reliable as previous petrol versions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I've driven a Mazda 3 with that engine. It's no ball of fire, but it's very economical, I got 42 mpg out of it on 130 km/h motorway driving, and over 47 mpg on mixed country road driving. You probably wouldn't get such good fuel economy in the 6 (since it's bigger and heavier than the 3), but it's not going to break the bank.

As for the reliability, I haven't heard anything good or bad about them, so they're probably fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I picked one up very recently, I'd agree engine is not a powerhouse but I think it is quite refined and still well able to pull the 6 around all the same. As it is not a turbo torque is a bit weedy up to about 17000-1800 rpm, but once you go hit that acceleration is pretty decent through all the gears except 6th, which is really only a cruising gear (I haven't had a 6th gear before though so possibly that just normal :pac:).

I find the acceleration from 50-70 in 5th decent enough on the motorway as well, although haven't driven it heavily loaded, maximum capacity thus far has been with a wife, buggy and baby on board.

Only had one fill so don't have any hard data on mpg, going on the trip computer is about 36 mpg for almost exclusively urban /rush hour M50 driving over the past week, which isn't a million miles off the stated 39mpg urban (Average speed in that same time period is 41 kmph so mostly stop start driving).

Have only went on two longish motorway trips, and it seemed reasonably economical, no hard figures but my best guestimate would be around the mid 40s @ 120kmph, which isn't too far off what captainspeed saw in the Mazda 3.

I am very happy with it so far, some might find the interior a little bland but but it all feels very solid and well build, and the seats are comfortable with plenty of passenger legroom front and back. Rear headroom would start to get a little tight for anyone too much over 6ft (I'm about that height and would be comfortable in the back). Its a very nice car to drive and the handling is excellent IMO, the only other minor criticism I would have is that it is not terribly forgiving over speedbumps at low speeds as the suspension is quite firm. Boot has plenty of space but the saloon trim and high lip make it pretty akward to take advantage if you are trying to get high boxes in for example.

Advertisement