Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preppy Look

Options
  • 04-04-2016 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I'm really likeing the preppy look. I'd really like to layer a t-shirt or polo shirt over a long sleeve shirt..like a button down shirt. Has anybody ever done this. should the t-shirt be a little bigger as in not fitted any ideas or suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

izzyregan wrote: »
    I'm really likeing the preppy look. I'd really like to layer a t-shirt or polo shirt over a long sleeve shirt..like a button down shirt. Has anybody ever done this. should the t-shirt be a little bigger as in not fitted any ideas or suggestions.

That's not really the preppy look, at least not how I understand it. That sounds more 90's than preppy. I used to wear long sleeved ts under short sleeved back then and in the early 2000's and would usually buy the long sleeved to be tight and the short sleeved to be my usual size.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

If it's what I'm thinking of, I think it's quite a dateD look to be honest, like the Aberdrombie style around 8-9 years ago. Some well fitted chinos and a slim check shirt would be a more modern, grown up take on the look, IMO. More Hilfiger or Gap, less Ambercrombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A preppy look would involve a form fitting jumper over a shirt, with just enough tail visible underneath. Search for preppy outfits on Google Images.

What you describes sounds more like a grunge look?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Kind of like this?

101215_mens-layered-tee.jpg

That's definitely more of a late-90s/early-00s look. It makes me think of Seth Cohen in The OC. In fact, here he is with a t-shirt over a shirt!

tumblr_m8us3q6ug61qjuf7f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭izzyregan

I definitely think it is the ''Preppy'' look as opposed to the grunge look. faith got the male version with Seth from the OC. I think I'm looking to layer a polo shirt over a button down shirt like in the picture. (I'm a girl BTW)

• Advertisement

I definitely think it is the ''Preppy'' look as opposed to the grunge look. faith got the male version with Seth from the OC. I think I'm looking to layer a polo shirt over a button down shirt like in the picture. (I'm a girl BTW)

Not to be mean, but that genuinely isn't preppy. Preppy style (if we want to get pedantic, which in fairness I always do) have it's based in the "prep school" system of the US- which prepared school leavers (mainly men) for entry to Ivy League schools (Harvard, Princeton, Yale, etc.).

Think the kinds of thing someone who goes sailing would wear. For girls you're talking tight enough jeans, a check shirt and a cable jumper over it. Guys youre talking chinos, deck shoes, bowties, cricket jumpers, etc. Private school stuff, shall we say.

I mean it doesn't matter what you call it really, but if you're looking for outfit inspiration and you search for "preppy" you won't get the types of outfits you're looking for.

And tbh, OP, they're really not that stylish or fashionable. Quite late 90's into the noughties. Which, whatever, but it's not current is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

When I think of "female preppy" my mind always goes to the cover of that Vampire Weekend album:

5171pLwLtyL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For me, it's the iconic Tommy Hilfiger look
    ViewMedia?mgid=356090&vid=4

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I don't think you fully understand the preppy look as other posters have said. I don't really understand what you mean by a polo shirt over a shirt it doesn't sound to me like it will look too good.

Your traditional preppy style is based on American prep culture. Think prep schools and the ivies, going to the Hamptons or the cape for the summer. Your traditional prep style would have lots of pastel colours and your talking about brands such as LL Bean and Patagonia. Staples for men would include chinos of all colours, navy blazers, shirts, shorts, baot shoes and polos. A good example would be the Kennedy family.

Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren would be preppy in a way but wouldn't be historically associated with prep and may not live up to the idea of good quality and long lasting. You can find some good examples of summer prep here https://m.imgur.com/a/zc5tK or else Keil James Patrick on Instagram for a more modern twist on your classics prep style.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Agree with Bored Lad. Below would be the preppy style for men and below that for women. Confirms what I understand about the layering for preppy for a woman is, i.e. a check or plain white shirt with a jumper over it.....a polo shirt over a white shirt does not sound great at all? Maybe the other way around with the collar up? Still not fantastic.

Unless you are talking about layering two of the same shirt types? I see it done by men for Hentley shirts, which looks okay with a white one underneath as a casual look and a long long time ago for polo shirts but is really vulgar looking.

Men:
    http://www.fashionbeans.com/2014/how-to-pull-off-mens-preppy-style/

Women:
    http://www.stylishwife.com/2014/10/preppy-outfits-for-women.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭izzyregan

Ok, hands up I got the style wrong.. anyway pics attached are the look I'm going for.

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFqortn__LAhXFJA8KHdD5COYQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.mysteries-of-style.com%2Fblog%2Fways-to-layer-tops%2F&psig=AFQjCNHGEH3GqSKcHdZ-npmyONNHoCbFDQ&ust=1460211917177153

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-3feLoP_LAhVC6Q4KHa6uBsUQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmodanuovo.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F03%2F17%2Fhow-to-look-like-the-j-crew-lookbook%2F&psig=AFQjCNHGEH3GqSKcHdZ-npmyONNHoCbFDQ&ust=1460211917177153

eeb2ccc842b89e852c324f452473559a.jpg

Can't see those pics unfortunately OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

You can't post pics from pintrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think it looks a bit pretentious and silly.
    But I'm a fairly conservative dresser.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Think the kinds of thing someone who goes sailing would wear. .
    Ah now, even us sailors have moved on from that :D
    Ok, hands up I got the style wrong.. anyway pics attached are the look I'm going for.

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjFqortn__LAhXFJA8KHdD5COYQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.mysteries-of-style.com%2Fblog%2Fways-to-layer-tops%2F&psig=AFQjCNHGEH3GqSKcHdZ-npmyONNHoCbFDQ&ust=1460211917177153

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi-3feLoP_LAhVC6Q4KHa6uBsUQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmodanuovo.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F03%2F17%2Fhow-to-look-like-the-j-crew-lookbook%2F&psig=AFQjCNHGEH3GqSKcHdZ-npmyONNHoCbFDQ&ust=1460211917177153

eeb2ccc842b89e852c324f452473559a.jpg
    That's scruffy grunge imo, I used dress like that in college back in the mid nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

More Sheldon from the Big Bang - Google Big Bang - Sheldon? to see

Advertisement