Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turbo issue

Options
  • 04-04-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

On my mk1 connect im getting no respond from the turbo at all, I have checked the actuator on the turbo and it dosent seem to be moving at all, i have sprayed it with wd40 for couple days but still no joy, because of where it is located i cant even get my hand in to check it for any play without having to take of the complete manifold which is a pain

The end of the actuator is on the back of the manifold and i cant really get access to it either which is a great design by ford!

Does anyone know the kind of turbo in these vans? Is it possible the veins are all blocked up stopping the actuater from moving in this turbo? Ive seen different ways to clean them but i want to know what im up against first

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Depending on how old, but if its a mk1 then it wont have a vnt turbo most likely, just a wastegated turbo with no vanes or anything. Problems people think are with a turbo are 99% of the time more like an air flow meter or boost pressure sensor, if the turbo was gone you would know about it! The only minute chance of it being the turbo is if the wastegate stuck wide open, but the odds of that are remote at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Do you hear any "whoosh" sounds when driving? It could be anything from leaking boost pipes to a clogged up intake manifold from the EGR valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Ive chanaged both maf and map sensors from a working van and still no difference, I tried to install an egr balnking plate but the bolts were seized and i ended up ringing the head of one of them

Ive checked all the piping and all is fine, a mate has the exact same van same engine etc we just cant figure it out

There is no play in the turbo and it does spin freely but i dont get a big whoosh sound more a very very faint whishle/whoosh kind of sound, i dont think the actuator arm is moving at all its very hard to see as it nearly hidden behind the manifold would this cause the lack of a proper boost from the turbo

canhefixit wrote: »
    Ive chanaged both maf and map sensors from a working van and still no difference, I tried to install an egr balnking plate but the bolts were seized and i ended up ringing the head of one of them

Ive checked all the piping and all is fine, a mate has the exact same van same engine etc we just cant figure it out

There is no play in the turbo and it does spin freely but i dont get a big whoosh sound more a very very faint whishle/whoosh kind of sound, i dont think the actuator arm is moving at all its very hard to see as it nearly hidden behind the manifold would this cause the lack of a proper boost from the turbo

The actuator should never move until the desired boost pressure is reached, so unless you can get your head under there while driving hard you wont be seeing any movement. What is the peak boost reading on live data while caning it in 3rd gear? and does it smoke?

rex-x wrote: »
    The actuator should never move until the desired boost pressure is reached, so unless you can get your head under there while driving hard you wont be seeing any movement. What is the peak boost reading on live data while caning it in 3rd gear? and does it smoke?

I havent had any live data reading my obd scanner is a basic code reading one, do you know if the forscan app gives this info voa the eml bluetooth dongle?

what should the reading be anyways out of interest?

No ive no excessive smoke at all

• Advertisement

On that engine in the 12-14 psi range, if you haven't excessive smoke though you have eliminated the turbo really, its not getting the fuel if its not smoking and not making the power.Tthat could be either a sensor or it could be a mechanical blockage or issue

rex-x wrote: »
    On that engine in the 12-14 psi range, if you haven't excessive smoke though you have eliminated the turbo really, its not getting the fuel if its not smoking and not making the power.Tthat could be either a sensor or it could be a mechanical blockage or issue

Yeah defo dont have excessive smoke, ill see if i can get a live pressure reading somehow im checking if forscan does that...I put a mk1 focus airbox and snorkle onto the van a while back and it did help a little bit but driving with it awahle now its still wayyy down on power

Im going to swap the maf, map sensors for known good ones, plus a new fuel filter and change over the intercooler tomorrow, will even try clean the egr some way, i have carb cleaner maybe stick something in to break up any build up

OK so yesterday i replaced the map and maf sensors from another working van, put on a new fuel filter and changed the intercooler from a working van and all made no difference whatsoever

Tried cleaning the egr with egr cleaner spraying it into the intake but made no difference and tbh i didnt think it would them spray cleaners are a pure con imo, next step im thinking now is to take out manifold egr and turbo sections and see if they are bunged up and with egr out i might get them bolts out and blank it off completely although they seem seized in place

Other than that i dont know tbh, i still need to get a pressure reading from the turbo

Its not smokey, im not loosing oil, but it is quite thirsty even taking it handy as my mates van gets 200 miles more per tank

Advertisement