Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap 3 berth that can tow

Options
  • 04-04-2016 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

I'd like some advice on which camper/motorhome to look for. I take my son and his crew to sailing events around the country, approx 8 events from April to Oct. We have been camping at the events for the last two years and to be honest I have had enough of sleeping in a tent. So I am thinking of getting a camper/motorhome that the 3 of us can sleep in and that I can tow the dinghy with.

Been looking at converted vans etc and was really looking for advice on what models can sleep 3 adults comfortably. Cooking facilities would be handy. I'm not too worried about showers etc as all locations will have them. The boat and trailer weight approx 300kg.

Budget wise I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks in advance
    YB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Yawlboy wrote: »
    I'd like some advice on which camper/motorhome to look for. I take my son and his crew to sailing events around the country, approx 8 events from April to Oct. We have been camping at the events for the last two years and to be honest I have had enough of sleeping in a tent. So I am thinking of getting a camper/motorhome that the 3 of us can sleep in and that I can tow the dinghy with.

Been looking at converted vans etc and was really looking for advice on what models can sleep 3 adults comfortably. Cooking facilities would be handy. I'm not too worried about showers etc as all locations will have them. The boat and trailer weight approx 300kg.

Budget wise I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks in advance
    YB

Comfortable depends on the size of the adults and how claustrophobic they are :D

How many travel seats with belts do you need?
    Is it three single beds you're after.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Comfortable depends on the size of the adults and how claustrophobic they are :D

How many travel seats with belts do you need?
    Is it three single beds you're after.

3 single beds preferred but would take a single and a double or two doubles, minimum 3 seat belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Bongo!

Yawlboy wrote: »
    3 single beds preferred but would take a single and a double or two doubles, minimum 3 seat belts.

For comfort you'll want high roof so you can stand up and move around get changed etc.

Ducato/Boxer/Relay/Daily/Master can give you 6 ft bed across the van, if you insulate directly onto the side panels you can get about 6ft4 in the ducato, 6ft 2 in the master.

I think this layout is good for 3/4 berth. Top bunk would be less than 6 feet as the sides slope in. Front area converts to double.

Compact%204%20berth%20with%20rear%20bunks%20%28based%20on%20SWB%20Transit%29%201.jpg

Simplest solution for sleeping is something like this:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/568720259170563311/

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Bongo!

Wouldn't describe a bongo as comfortable for 3 adults. Maybe 3 same sex siblings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Wouldn't describe a bongo as comfortable for 3 adults. Maybe 3 same sex siblings.

It actually can be comfortable for 4 adults - 2 up and 2 down. Granted you wanted live out of it for an extended period but if you're upgrading from a tent for the weekend it's perfect.

Advertisement