Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring a car

Options
  • 04-04-2016 12:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭

Ive been with same insurance company for few years but the car was changed to my girlfriends name because she was driving it more than me and she looks after the tax. The car gets parked at my door every night though. My insurance is up for renewal and been quoted 250 more than last year, phoned about and was quoted 150 more and now my insurance company matched it. The renewal is in a few weeks but do i have to change the car back into my ownership or tell the insurance company its in my misses name. If i do, will the quote rise ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

She's not your missus as she's your girlfriend. So you have no insurable interest in the vehicle. So it goes back into your name or they wont cover it. In the event of a claim if they saw the log book and the name was different, its game over unless you are married.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soccercrew

peteb2 wrote: »
    She's not your missus as she's your girlfriend. So you have no insurable interest in the vehicle. So it goes back into your name or they wont cover it. In the event of a claim if they saw the log book and the name was different, its game over unless you are married.

wrong and many people in the know will back me up on this.

peteb2 wrote: »

how does he not have insurable interest in the vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Why don't you just ask them easier really in the long run...

Had to get my insurance requited recently and went with Quote Devil they are very nice there, and Munster Group..Went with Munster group in the end but both of them got great quotes back..

soccercrew wrote:

Because if he is not the registered owner how would you suggest he has? You being in the know and all that. And me working in insurance and being wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

soccercrew wrote: »

People co-habiting and engaged to be married don't have an insurable interest in each other's lives, they would only gain an insurable interest if married or something jointly owned.

The Law Reform Commission have produced an excellent paper about insurance contracts and a large part is about the concept of insurable interests, it make an interesting read if you have the time to look through it - it's 245 pages!

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/consultation%20papers/cp65insurancecontracts.pdf

Some interesting points:-
    In Chapter 2 (Insurable Interest), the Commission notes that although Irish common law did not require an insurable interest to be present for a contract of insurance to be enforceable, subsequent statutory developments aimed at counteracting fraud, gambling and criminal destruction of lives and property did.
    Cohabitees and persons engaged to be married do not possess any insurable interest in each other‘s lives. This situation seems to the Commission to be unacceptable in the 21st Century, and when one considers that the insurable interest survives a decree of judicial separation or a divorce, a major anomaly clearly exists. The difficulty of legislating clear rules in relation to non-marital relationships and the insurable interest should not be underestimated but the law needs to be rationalised and clarified. It may be that such difficulties make outright repeal of an insurable interest requirement the most appropriate course of action.

And what does the LRC recommend about insurable interests?
    We tentatively propose that the following groups should be deemed to have insurable an interest arising out of natural affection:
    (1) any person – in his or her own life and in the life of his or her spouse or civil partner;
    (2) any person who is cared for and dependent on his or her parent or guardian – in the life of his or her parent or guardian;
    (3) any parent – in the life of his or her adult child;
    (4) any person – in the life of his or her cohabitant.

GM228 wrote: »
    People co-habiting and engaged to be married don't have an insurable interest in each other's lives, they would only gain an insurable interest if married or something jointly owned.

The Law Reform Commission have produced an excellent paper about insurance contracts and a large part is about the concept of insurable interests, it make an interesting read if you have the time to look through it - it's 245 pages!

http://www.lawreform.ie/_fileupload/consultation%20papers/cp65insurancecontracts.pdf

Some interesting points:-

And what does the LRC recommend about insurable interests?

What if they live in seperate houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

wrong and many people in the know will back me up on this.

Well, it won't be me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I could be wrong but my understanding is insurable interest remains when married irrespective of the actual circumstances, in other words it will only end with divorce as opposed to seperation etc. (One for the legal discussion side to confirm though).

One they are married its fine. It creates the interest in the matter.

But where are these other people that are in the know?? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement