Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starter car

Options
  • 04-04-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hello everyone my name is Jimmy I'm 18 years old and I am looking for the ideal starter car cheap insurance tax etc however I do not want to go over 1.2 petrol I need some advice I test drove Opel corsa 2004 and it was atrocious. The car MUST be 2004 up as well and I only have max 1500eur to spend I have full license too.don't say Toyota yaris as I know they are best choice but are not in my price range
    Here are some cars I have been looking at:
    Opel corsa 1.0
    Hyundai getz 1.1
    Peugeot 206 1.1
    Chevrolet kalos
    Chevrolet aveo 1.2
    Volkswagen Polo 1.0 1.2
    Kia picanto 1.0
    Fiat punto 1.2
    Mitsubishi Colt 1.2

Need advice folks I know the Jap stuff is usually fairly good I hear the getz is not too bad either.

All advice is much appreciated folks thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

€1500 won't get you much quality in the 2004 range. Have you budgeted insurance? Could easily be €1500 or more again. Anything over 10 years old is going to cause a loading, or in some cases not be insurable or only available Third Party. Tax band is higher under 2008 as aswell, so even though you have a smaller engine size its going to cost you ~€300 per year. So, your €1500 car budget has suddenly become perhaps €3500 'on the road' total expenditure, assuming the car needs nothing else :(

Personally, unless its absolutely essential that you drive, I'd put a little more in the bank and buy when you have some more capital behind you. A cheap car will cost you dearly. Also, on a personal note, buying based on the your wallet size as opposed to the car itself is a bad idea. Buy the car that you like because you're the one who's going to be spending the time there. I've been in some fantastic cars over the years, but even if I had the super-car budget, some I'd never buy as they are not nice places to actually be for any extended period of time.

But, if I had to pick from the list, I'd go with the Polo, closely followed by the Getz and Colt. You'd get the nicest interior out of the of the lot of them and a reasonably brand reputation for reliability. All of the list have known issues but none I'd single out as show stoppers. Maintenance and history is key in this part of the market, especially if you are buying on a budget.

Advertisement