Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air to water heat pumps

Options
  • 03-04-2016 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys.
    Im building a 2950 sq feet house and our engineer is advising us to go with an air to water heat system. I didnt allow for this in our budgeting and wondered if anyone can tell me a rough price for this. Also maybe reccomendations of where we can get this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kildare263

Hi, I got the air to water heating system installed when I built my house in 2010, it was approx 25k at the time, but I feel it is well worth it. My brother has the underground system and by comparison the air to water is more efficient. The engineer who installed it was also great and any problems were sorted immediately. Pm me for contact details if you want - Koldtech engineering is the company who installed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jennyhen

Kildare263 wrote: »
    Hi, I got the air to water heating system installed when I built my house in 2010, it was approx 25k at the time, but I feel it is well worth it. My brother has the underground system and by comparison the air to water is more efficient. The engineer who installed it was also great and any problems were sorted immediately. Pm me for contact details if you want - Koldtech engineering is the company who installed it.

hi

Thanks for that. How much does it cost to run per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Jennyhen wrote: »
    Kildare263 wrote: »

hit

Thanks for that. How much does it cost to run per year?

It's not a one fit suits all for A2W pumps. On the most simplistic level you're house will have to be seriously well insulated to make the pump any way cost effective. With heat escaping the pump will have to work harder to make it the house stay at the required temperature. Really you're house has to be designed to be capable to make an A2W pump viable.

Presuming that it is going to be that way (will it be an A2 BER rating when complete?) I can give you some suggestions from my own build starting in June. The best quote I have been quoted for supply and fit (1st fix) is 18,500 incl VAT for a A2W pump, UFH and heat recovery ventilation system for my 2,650 sq ft house. Have you looked at the heat recovery ventilation system by the way?

My engineer has done up for me a set of projected heating costs into the medium term associated with having all sorts of heating systems, double/triple glazing etc. Basically the house will be triple glazed with the heating system as above and his projections are for around 800 per year to heat and power house with this system. To be honest I firmly believe this to be too good to be true and I would estimate that the ESB bill will average at 175 per month. Any sort of pumps are hard on electricity. Coupled with normal electricity uses such as lights, TV, etc I'd be shocked if the total for the year isn't up around or upwards of 2,000. That's a big difference from my engineers projections of 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Thatsnicenow

It's not a one fit suits all for A2W pumps. On the most simplistic level you're house will have to be seriously well insulated to make the pump any way cost effective. With heat escaping the pump will have to work harder to make it the house stay at the required temperature. Really you're house has to be designed to be capable to make an A2W pump viable.

Presuming that it is going to be that way (will it be an A2 BER rating when complete?) I can give you some suggestions from my own build starting in June. The best quote I have been quoted for supply and fit (1st fix) is 18,500 incl VAT for a A2W pump, UFH and heat recovery ventilation system for my 2,650 sq ft house. Have you looked at the heat recovery ventilation system by the way?

My engineer has done up for me a set of projected heating costs into the medium term associated with having all sorts of heating systems, double/triple glazing etc. Basically the house will be triple glazed with the heating system as above and his projections are for around 800 per year to heat and power house with this system. To be honest I firmly believe this to be too good to be true and I would estimate that the ESB bill will average at 175 per month. Any sort of pumps are hard on electricity. Coupled with normal electricity uses such as lights, TV, etc I'd be shocked if the total for the year isn't up around or upwards of 2,000. That's a big difference from my engineers projections of 800.

Ray,
    What type of insulation build up are you going with may I ask? Starting building soon also but many decisions still to make!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hal03

Hi
    Just reading your posts, we are in same situation
    Engineer recommending air to water heat pump. I've been looking at some sites and people saying it's not efficient if temp drops to 4 degrees and below despite it saying it's effective to -20. ??
    Has anyone had a danfuss or dimplex one fitted in a house of roughly 300m2 and how did it perform during the winter months?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

holy **** these are some prices.. whats the life expectancy on these and the electricity running costs for the year,, servicing etc .. would a pellet burner or something else be a lot more cost effective in the long term..

Advertisement