Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute Kilcock/Maynooth to Lansdowne Rd

Options
  • 03-04-2016 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all,

I will be starting a new job with a company on Lansdowne Rd (9am start) in the next few weeks. As a temporary measure I will be commuting from Kilcock.

I've been researching times/fares etc. and as the leap card service is only available from Maynooth I think it will be cheaper to get the train from there. My question is about parking in Maynooth? Is there a weekly ticket to park at train station? I went to college in Maynooth so I'm familiar with the area but not with parking.. Any suggestion of where else I could park?

Second question is how reliable are the train times? I see the commuter service from Maynooth at 7.55 will get me to Lansdowne at 8.51 - anyone have any experience of this service?

I'm open to other suggestions from people. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wench

I think that could be cutting it a bit fine.
    It's a while since I've used the service, but there regularly used to be delays where the Maynooth train was held short of Connolly to allow the dart to go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lauras91

wench wrote: »
    I think that could be cutting it a bit fine.
    It's a while since I've used the service, but there regularly used to be delays where the Maynooth train was held short of Connolly to allow the dart to go ahead

Yeah was thinking that, might get an earlier train for the first morning at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

lauras91 wrote: »
    Any suggestion of where else I could park?
    I'm not sure about parking at Maynooth in the morning (don't think it's great) but there is a large car park at Louisa Bridge, across the road from the station, should be no difficulty parking there.
    Only a few minutes extra straight down the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I'm not sure about parking at Maynooth in the morning (don't think it's great) but there is a large car park at Louisa Bridge, across the road from the station, should be no difficulty parking there.
    Only a few minutes extra straight down the motorway.

I believe Maynooth car park is full by 7.30am.

There's a large supermarket car park about 5 mins walk from LB too, which is free, and popular with commuters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

n97 mini wrote: »
    There's a large supermarket car park about 5 mins walk from LB too, which is free, and popular with commuters too.
    Lidl opposite Intel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

There is also the car park opposite the roost, takes 1 min to walk to station from there. It's huge so I doubt it fills up but maybe somebody else who uses it could clarify. I get that same train every morning btw, it tends to get to Pearse at 8.50/8.55 due to waiting in Connolly, so for the first few days I would recommend getting an earlier one to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Lidl opposite Intel?

That's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2016.php?station_from=KKOCK&station_to=LDWNE&stage1=Submit
    Welcome to the Rail Users Ireland Fare Calculator!

This version is the December 1st 2015 fare revision

Station From: Kilcock
    Station To: Lansdowne Road
    The journey distance is: 35.25km, fare zone CE future zone C

Ticket Adult Child Student Family
    Single €11.35 €5.50 €10.60
    Open Return €19.80 €9.50 €14.00 €38.50
    Day Return €18.50 €9.00 €24.50
    Weekly €52.00 €40.60
    Monthly €191.00 €130.00
    Annual €1,910.00

http://railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2016.php?station_from=MYNTH&station_to=LDWNE&stage1=Submit
    Welcome to the Rail Users Ireland Fare Calculator!

This version is the December 1st 2015 fare revision

Station From: Maynooth
    Station To: Lansdowne Road
    The journey distance is: 29.28km, fare zone 6

Ticket Adult Child Schoolchild
    Cash Single €5.90 €2.45 €1.25
    Leap Single €4.69 €1.88 €0.75
    Day Return €10.80 €4.60 €2.00
    3 Day €26.50
    7 Day €45.30

Dublin Area Leap Tickets
    Rail Rail + Bus Rail + Luas Luas Luas + Bus
    Adult 1 Day Cap €9.20 €10.00 €10.00 €6.40 €10.00
    Child 1 Day Cap €3.10 €3.50 €3.50 €2.50 €3.50
    Student 1 Day Cap €6.90 €7.50 €7.50 €5.00 €7.50
    Adult 7 Day Cap €35.50 €40.00 €40.00 €23.50 €40.00
    Child 7 Day Cap €12.00 €14.00 €14.00 €8.20 €14.00
    Student 7 Day Cap €27.00 €30.00 €30.00 €18.00 €30.00

For point-to-point tickets, Maynooth-Kilcoole is the same price as Maynooth-Lansdowne Road.

Kilcock parking apppears to be free: http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/kilcock

Maynooth has different parking options: http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/car-parking €3 Daily (24hrs), €8 Weekly, €30 Monthly

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

From looking at the window of the train as we go through, it looks like driving from Maynooth to Kilcock in the evening rush isn't terribly easy. The queues around that Lidl look pretty awful so I guess your choice would depend on which side of Kilcock you are trying to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, Maynooth has a lot more trains than Kilcock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement