Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying a bird (ID'd as Cormorant)

Options
  • 03-04-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.firstly I don't know much about birds so excuse me on this q!i was walking down by our river just there and spotted a jet black bird with white slashes on its wings.my dog scared it so didn't get a proper look.it was smaller then a heron and bigger then a magpie.had a thin build and flew off similar to a heron low and along the river.
    I would be along that river frequently but I have never seen that before.there would usually be ducks,swans and herons along there but never saw this bird before so I was curious.i had A quick look online and didn't seem to see anything that matched.any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Everything, bar white slashes on wings, points to a Cormorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Looks similar-I thought they were sea birds thou?we would be fairly far from the sea-20/30 miles I'd say.

L1985 wrote: »
    Looks similar-I thought they were sea birds thou?we would be fairly far from the sea-20/30 miles I'd say.

They are very common on freshwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Ah ok I'd say that's it then-the white could have been from the belly as it took off!!thanks for that it was bugging me.
    next I'll try get photos of the two birds of prey that are in our wood.make some racket at times.would love to know what they are so ill comeback on that😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Everything, bar white slashes on wings, points to a Cormorant.

Immature cormorant? They have a bit of white but on the chest.

• Advertisement

gzoladz wrote: »
    Immature cormorant? They have a bit of white but on the chest.

Chest certainly. It was just the mention lf wings that threw me a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Recent photo of an immature cormorant on the Liffey about 12 miles from the sea
    The wings are black -that is the sun 'playing'.

25674055114_c3ca314955_b.jpgcormorant

Advertisement