Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herd Number?

Options
  • 03-04-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hello,

I am about to get my fathers farm through means of a gift.
    Can i just transfer his herd number to myself or will I have to go fill out the paper work for a new herd number?

Thanks in advance,

Also if anyone has gone through this, will i have to get new passport/cards for the cows/cattle seeing as they will be in my name? or will they send them out automatically?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

I did this last year. Just transferred the herd number into my name. Took ages to be honest! Had to get onto a solicitor to sign it over an auctioneer to value it and an engineer to do out the new maps. If you are doing the Green Cert, or already have it you will avoid paying stamp duty.

Get in contact with your Teagasc advisor and they will sort all paperwork and forms which are sent to the DVO. The DVO claimed they never received mine but I sent them by registered post so could prove otherwise! I'm sure this was a once off. And was the most time consuming part of the process for me. Held up to transfer for months.

As for the cards they don't change name. Any animals born after the transfer will be in your name but the old cards still work fine. When selling inform the Co Op or factory of the change and they will send the money to you.

All in all it should be a painless process and hopefully won't take too long. They are well used to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mrbrendank

DaDerv wrote: »
    I did this last year. Just transferred the herd number into my name. Took ages to be honest! Had to get onto a solicitor to sign it over an auctioneer to value it and an engineer to do out the new maps. If you are doing the Green Cert, or already have it you will avoid paying stamp duty.

Get in contact with your Teagasc advisor and they will sort all paperwork and forms which are sent to the DVO. The DVO claimed they never received mine but I sent them by registered post so could prove otherwise! I'm sure this was a once off. And was the most time consuming part of the process for me. Held up to transfer for months.

As for the cards they don't change name. Any animals born after the transfer will be in your name but the old cards still work fine. When selling inform the Co Op or factory of the change and they will send the money to you.

All in all it should be a painless process and hopefully won't take too long. They are well used to doing it.

Thank you very much,

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

hi, sorry for jumping on, have similar but different question. how does this work when the farm entitlements are transferred due to death. should I apply for my own herd number and then apply for schemes on AGFOOD.ie or apply as was normal my deceased father? am conscious of the deadlines for applications are time that it may take to get herd number, and will etc

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

As far as I know there are different reasons for transfer but all on the same form and the same or at least a very similar route applies to transfering land and entitlements. In my case the option was there for Inheritance, Gift or Deceased Family Members as far as I can recall.

Again your Teagasc Office should easily help you in this scenario, in fact the Officer has to witness the signature of these forms so they have to before they can be sent to Portlaois for processing. Maps etc will also be done by your Officer if required.

Advertisement