Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk-around camera set up for bird photography

Options
  • 03-04-2016 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Hello

99% of the set up of those of us who like bird photography is probably a DSLR and a long lens (400-600), what translates into a heavy +6lbs piece of gear.

Whay do you take with your when you don't want to carry the weight but still want to take some pictures? Whatever you do it will mean trading IQ for a lower weight, howevere I am interested to get your thoughts.

These are the options I came up with, I have tried some, but not all:

1. A long zoom compact (with a 4 mm x 6mm sensor), for example Panasoniz TZxx.

2. A bridge camera (longer reach than the compact).

3. A mirrorless or 1" camera (bigger senzor, shorter reach).

4. A DSLR with a shorter/slower lens than your ideal for bird photography).

5. A DSLR with a mirror lens (i.e Opteka 500mm 8 - has anyone tried this?!)

6. Mobile phone and adapter to take photos through your binocs.

I usually go with option (1), however I did loss a few nice photo opps over the last few weeks as operation is slower with a compact than with a DSLR, so I am considering options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

I use the Nikon Coolpix P900 which has an 83x zoom (about 2000mm equivalent). Obviously not as good as DSLR at high magnifications, but you can get decent record shots at that level. The video is very good and it weighs the same as a compact pair of binoculars.

Obviously which camerca you choose depends on what kind of photography you want to do. For mainly hide based work, a full DSLR would probably be best, whereas if you are doing a lot of walking, then scope or super zoom may be the best.

Two sample images from P900 attached. First is at roughly 10x and the second (ring) is with digital zoom (90x roughly).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Best avoid mirror lenses. They are cumbersome, slow and tricky to manual focus on a modern DSLR unless you are tripod mounted and use live view. Even then, the image quality will be no better (and probably worse) that a decent compact or bridge camera. If you found the compact a bit slow, you'll find a mirror lens about as fast as a tectonic plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Thanks both. VM, yes bridge was an option, I am familiar with the p900. However if I go small sensor Id go for a superzoom compact to throw in my pocket.

And thanks HC for the comment on the mirror lens.

At the end I ordered a second hand x1.4 extender to use with my Tamron 16-300, which is quite small.

I will report back, that will be my set up when I dont want to carry the 150-600mm.

Advertisement