Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Second Hand, what to do?

Options
  • 03-04-2016 7:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Ok so I am buying a second hand car, got burned recently with clocked car and luckily I got my money back but now I just don't know where to start to make sure it doesn't happen.

So I have found a car in garage, has service history in main garage. I rang garage and they have confirmed they serviced the car. Car looks in good condition and drives well. What else do I need to check? IT is not main dealer selling car.

If buying from adverts/donedeal what else can I do:
    Check if service history
    Do motorcheck
    Ring around garages on service if possible
    What else?

Am I missing anything or is that the best things I can do? is there anything else I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have it checked over by a competent mechanic.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Get a mechanic with diagnostics laptop to check the car. This way it will show up any faults you may not see by eye or by driving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

OK yes i forgot to mention, there was a service a while ago where you could drop in car and they would test? is it any good or you better off getting mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    OK yes i forgot to mention, there was a service a while ago where you could drop in car and they would test? is it any good or you better off getting mechanic?

Get a TRUSTED mechanic...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,954 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Verify the person selling the car actually owns it and their name is on the VLC, the longer they have owned the car for the better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement