Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best GPS watch for under €200

Options
  • 03-04-2016 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Looking to but something decent that displays distance to bunkers/water hazards also

Was looking at the Garmin Approach S3 but I'm not sure if it displays distance to bunkers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

LaVail wrote: »
    Looking to but something decent that displays distance to bunkers/water hazards also

Was looking at the Garmin Approach S3 but I'm not sure if it displays distance to bunkers?

It doesn't.
    But it allows you to manually add points as you go. Useful if you play somewhere regular. Not so useful if it's your first time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

I have the golfbuddy WT3 which has those features. Its a couple of years old at this stage. I believe there has since been a WT4 and WT5 which I would imagine do similar and more. I never have had any issues. The wife picked mine up as a Xmas present for around 190 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Macker1 wrote: »
    I have the golfbuddy WT3 which has those features. Its a couple of years old at this stage. I believe there has since been a WT4 and WT5 which I would imagine do similar and more. I never have had any issues. The wife picked mine up as a Xmas present for around 190 euro.

I'll second that for the WT3.
    Has distance to hazards and bunkers. I have checked the accuracy on a few courses and it seems to be good. I got mine for e180 over 1 year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

lowelife wrote: »
    It doesn't.
    But it allows you to manually add points as you go. Useful if you play somewhere regular. Not so useful if it's your first time out.
    Macker1 wrote: »
    I'll second that for the WT3.
    Has distance to hazards and bunkers. I have checked the accuracy on a few courses and it seems to be good. I got mine for e180 over 1 year ago.

Thanks lads. I'll have a look at the golfbuddy there

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

What about a Garmin approach G3. Has everything and you'll pick one up for 130ish. Its not a watch though it hangs off the bag

• Advertisement

What about a Garmin approach G3. Has everything and you'll pick one up for 130ish. Its not a watch though it hangs off the bag

It's a good looking device alright but I'm stuck on getting a watch. It'll be easier for me.

Was looking at golfbuddy wt4 there but lots of mixed reviews so I'm unsure. I'll do some more research before deciding.

Garmin Approach S20 looks good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Played with a guy using a tom tom watch GPS on Saturday. Didn't even know they did a golf GPS but it was a very neat looking think. Had distance to hazards and all. No idea how much it cost though.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Played with a guy using a tom tom watch GPS on Saturday. Didn't even know they did a golf GPS but it was a very neat looking think. Had distance to hazards and all. No idea how much it cost though.

Yeah they're a fine job alright, very handy.

I'm thinking of getting the Garmin Approach S20 this weekend but I'll keep looking before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Well LaVall, did you make a purchase?

On the WT3, 2 of us with them were playing in same 3 ball on Sunday and on some holes we were getting vastly different numbers. The other guys one was giving some crazy readings entirely and he said he's taking it back.
    Even when standing side by side on some holes, there were up to 5 yards in difference. And no it wasn't yards v metres!
    Maybe they home into different GPS satellites which can result in different readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

On the WT3, 2 of us with them were playing in same 3 ball on Sunday and on some holes we were getting vastly different numbers. The other guys one was giving some crazy readings entirely and he said he's taking it back.
    Even when standing side by side on some holes, there were up to 5 yards in difference. And no it wasn't yards v metres!
    Maybe they home into different GPS satellites which can result in different readings?

I'll second that, my mate has a wt3 and I have a wt4, the wt3 definitely isn't as accurate, we regularly walked to a distance marker and checked both watches together. The wt4 was always much closer, more often than not the wt4 would be spot on and the wt3 could be 4-6 yards out.

• Advertisement

I didn't :p

I'm still deciding. I was out yesterday with a lad who had a garmin S3 on and tbh it was out a fair bit on a few holes. I know the course well enough to be confident in saying that.

He also told me that because it's a touch screen, often his jacket/jumper will rub the screen and throw it off onto a different hole. Not ideal if you don't cop it in time.

I'll purchase something before the month is out though I'd say. Probably the wt4

Advertisement