Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary alterations??

Options
  • 03-04-2016 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Guys I just borrowed a friend's dress for my apperence in the local strictly come dancing night. It's a gorgeous rockabilly dress. Only problem is it is the tiniest bit to big on top.

I don't want to ruin the dress on my friend but is there anything I can do to pin it smaller without getting proper permanent alterations to it??? Tia.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm not much of a sewing expert, but I think you should be able to do a loose tacking stitch by hand that can be easily cut out afterwards. YouTube or Google would be helpful with tutorials. I could be totally wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

+1 to the above.

But be careful the stitching is strong enough so it doesn't fall apart during some energetic dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

meeeeh wrote: »
    +1 to the above.

But be careful the stitching is strong enough so it doesn't fall apart during some energetic dancing.

Thanks guys. Ok.... My dance is a rock n roll dance with lifts, shimmy, squats... and splits. Would I be better off dropping it into an alteration place and asking them to do it???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't know. Some adjustments are quite easily done by yourself. But I think a professional might be better at advising you how much stitching you can do and what type to be still reversible. It would be certainly easier, especially if you have to make adjustment to bust area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't know. Some adjustments are quite easily done by yourself. But I think a professional might be better at advising you how much stitching you can do and what type to be still reversible. It would be certainly easier, especially if you have to make adjustment to bust area.

That's exactly where I need it. The bottom of the dress is grand. It's the bust, shoulder and stomach area needing a pin up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement