Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to overclock my pc a little, first timer.

Options
  • 02-04-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to give my pc a graphics boost that won't put it under much pressure, I have a Gibabyte G1 970 OC and an i5 4690K Devils Canyon, it's got 16GB Ram and Upgraded heat sink.
    Just wondering where I should start, I don't want the pc under any great pressure as I use it for office as well as games so it needs to stay stable.
    Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Upgrading the CPU won't give enough of a boost in games to be worthwhile tbh, you can expect like 4-5 frames if you're lucky.

The GPU is already over clocked, but you can always push it higher. I use MSI Afterburner for GPU clocks, knock the power up by 10% or so (not the voltage!!!) And then let the Clock speeds up by 5-10mhz, run a benchmark and see if you've got any artifacting, rinse repeat. When you find the max speed with no artifacting, knock the sliders back down 10mhz or so for legroom. Heaven Benchmark is my go-to.

Google for CPU over clocking, there are tonnes of resources, just be aware it takes ages.

Advertisement