Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shares of Bank of Ireland Please Help !!

• 02-04-2016 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello all,
    sorry if I am in wrong section,
    About 6 months ago, my friend asked me to to invest my spare money into shares and he told me history of this and that shares in Ireland, I was confused but thought rather being in bank I would put it in shares might get lucky,bought 5700 shares of bank of Ireland at the rate of 0.35cents 6 months ago around 2000 euro, and every time I watched it declining since then,
    now at the min. it is at 0.26cents and which means i lost around 500 euro until now, i am confused to take them out or leave them there and wait for it to rise again ?

Please help !! some expert advise much appreciated

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

That's the nature of the market.
    There is a lot of negative sentiment towards banks at the minute in Europe.

I know people who bought them at €11 per share(granted that was a good few years ago now). It could be worse.

Sounds like you jumped in before doing your homework.
    Take some time and do you research. Understand what you want from your investment and plan from there.

Never invest money you can't afford to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I bought BoI at € 8.00 + :( and to break even I have bought heaps @ € 0.12 :) On a very long road back, but at least I can see a way out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I bought BoI at € 8.00 + :( and to break even I have bought heaps @ € 0.12 :) On a very long road back, but at least I can see a way out :)

Would anyone recommend buying the,m at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sell them, take the hit and never follow investment advice you don't understand in the future (that includes the risks associated no matter how big the promised improvements will be) or you will lose a lot more money in the years to come (and that includes so called "professional advice" or advice from a friend).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

It depends on whether you need access to that money in the near future. If you don't, then be patient. Markets go up, markets go down, markets go up again. At some point in the future (I don't know when, no one does) it's very likely that the share price will rise again, to a price higher than what you paid for them. As Bank of Ireland improves, the share price will rise. Also, in the meantime and from next year onwards, you should start receiving a dividend for each of the shares you own, as the bank has started returning to profitability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

500 euro loss in bank shares, serious stuff,count yourself one of the lucky ones, I know one lad that lost close to 250000 it completely destroyed the man.

kerryjack wrote: »
    500 euro loss in bank shares, serious stuff,count yourself one of the lucky ones, I know one lad that lost close to 250000 it completely destroyed the man.

My uncle lost 80K also over 1m in property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I do wonder about a brexit impact on overall group profit and also the duration of the current property price rebound.

No doubt impairment costs have been reduced but I still don't think we 're out of the woods. Having said that I'd comfortably ride out the turbulence if I was happy to hold on for the long term. Short term is a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Would anyone recommend buying the,m at the moment.

Unlikely I'd buy anymore for now, but if you don't have some in your portfolio, I'd certainly recommend buying some for the longer term. The Bank is improving and with the prospects of divis etc, it is very likely the SP will rise (the more the merrier) over the next 5-10 years and longer.

Unlikely I'd buy anymore for now, but if you don't have some in your portfolio, I'd certainly recommend buying some for the longer term. The Bank is improving and with the prospects of divis etc, it is very likely the SP will rise (the more the merrier) over the next 5-10 years and longer.

Yea i'm not looking for a quick profit. I'm 20 and in college, so 5-10 years would be great for some extra money when looking to buy a house.

Hopefully i'll learn 7-8K this summer, and put half it into shares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Yea i'm not looking for a quick profit. I'm 20 and in college, so 5-10 years would be great for some extra money when looking to buy a house.

Hopefully i'll learn 7-8K this summer, and put half it into shares.

Buy American based ETFs like Vanguard. They are taxed like shares for CGTs. You dont have the skills or expertise to invest wisely in shares yourself. You will be gambling if you think you can beat the market over the 5-10 years. Buy an ETF like Vanguard S&P 500. It is the 500 largest PLCs in America in a value weighted index. It is highly diversified, unlike buying shares in a small bank in a small market heavily exposed to one countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Buy American based ETFs like Vanguard. They are taxed like shares for CGTs. You dont have the skills or expertise to invest wisely in shares yourself. You will be gambling if you think you can beat the market over the 5-10 years. Buy an ETF like Vanguard S&P 500. It is the 500 largest PLCs in America in a value weighted index. It is highly diversified, unlike buying shares in a small bank in a small market heavily exposed to one countries

Agreed. The Index outperforms the majority of funds over the long term.

Re the Bank Shares, i would hold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Roonbox wrote: »
    Agreed. The Index outperforms the majority of funds over the long term.
    Including the suggested index funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Nody wrote: »
    Sell them, take the hit and never follow investment advice you don't understand in the future (that includes the risks associated no matter how big the promised improvements will be) or you will lose a lot more money in the years to come (and that includes so called "professional advice" or advice from a friend).

Wouldn't advise selling now. You may be down at the moment but it's only a loss if and when you sell. This is a good lesson to learn now and will stand you in good stead in the years ahead. Investing is a gamble, very little different from betting on the horses; no investor anywhere has gotten it completely right always, look at Sean Quinn. Banks are out of favour currently, but can rise surprisingly quickly when economic circumstances improve. Our economy will improve steadily over the next few years which will be a good boost to BOI. A BREXIT may throw a big spanner in the works shortly but I just cannot see this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

MfMan wrote: »
    Wouldn't advise selling now. You may be down at the moment but it's only a loss if and when you sell. This is a good lesson to learn now and will stand you in good stead in the years ahead. Investing is a gamble, very little different from betting on the horses; no investor anywhere has gotten it completely right always, look at Sean Quinn. Banks are out of favour currently, but can rise surprisingly quickly when economic circumstances improve. Our economy will improve steadily over the next few years which will be a good boost to BOI. A BREXIT may throw a big spanner in the works shortly but I just cannot see this happening.

Terrible thought process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Terrible thought process.
    A critical analysis from a poster called "For Ever Odd"! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

MfMan wrote: »

I agree with some of above I don't think the economy will improve over the next couple of years. I think the exact opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Few Questions;
      If I bought shares in BOI today when will I qualify for a dividend ?
      What is the normal restriction period (if any) regarding buying shares for the dividend ?
      Does it even matter as the market will price in the distribution ?

Thanks,
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Few Questions;
      If I bought shares in BOI today when will I qualify for a dividend ?
      What is the normal restriction period (if any) regarding buying shares for the dividend ?
      Does it even matter as the market will price in the distribution ?

Thanks,
    TK

BOI doesnt pay a dividend currently. They are talking about one next year or 2018.

You have you buy shares before a certain date for a dividend. Since there is no date listed, if you brought shares tomorrow you would qualify for dividends in the future

Generally if a dividend is declared, the market price drops to match the dividend price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

newacc2015 wrote: »

American domiciled ETFs are subject to US inheritance tax if you die. This is very penal. If you want to buy an S&P 500 ETF and avail of CGT treatment you should buy the Canadian domiciled versions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

Originally Posted by newacc2015 

onemanband wrote: »
    American domiciled ETFs are subject to US inheritance tax if you die. This is very penal. If you want to buy an S&P 500 ETF and avail of CGT treatment you should buy the Canadian domiciled versions.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy S&P at the moment, looks to me like it is going to get dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 samsam11

Thanks Everybody for the fair advice and sharing your experience , after reading 80k loss, feels i am the lucky and most blessed :) still waiting for them to go up

• Registered Users Posts: 6 samsam11

And sorry for late reply, after almost an year nothing changed BOI share still is only 0.23c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

I'm actually thinking of buying 1k worth where did u go to buy them sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Fill yer boots (circa 2008) no hiding from BS on the www :pac::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Fill yer boots (circa 2008) no hiding from BS on the www :pac::cool:

Wow ....that's Mr Campaigner against the banks now ......That's pretty embarrassing, talking up Irish shares- I wonder when exactly it was ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Wow ....that's Mr Campaigner against the banks now ......That's pretty embarrassing, talking up Irish shares- I wonder when exactly it was ?

16 September 2008 - just over 2 years later we bailed them out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

lab man wrote: »
    I'm actually thinking of buying 1k worth where did u go to buy them sam

If you need to ask this question you shouldn't be buying them, nevermind even just investing in general.

Do some research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Already a good thread on BOI herehttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102501640
    Reading through it most seem to be buying now, not when the shares are 35 cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

callaway92 wrote:
    If you need to ask this question you shouldn't be buying them, nevermind even just investing in general.

callaway92 wrote:
    Do some research.

It's only a question gods sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

lab man wrote: »
    It's only a question gods sake

You're making it out like I was saying it in an aggressive way. I was just giving proper feedback to your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

callaway92 wrote: »
    You're making it out like I was saying it in an aggressive way. I was just giving proper feedback to your question.
    Set up an online DeGiro account. Very easy to use.

Advertisement