Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Reality Headset from €4.99 (Up to 77% Off) Groupon deal

Options
  • 02-04-2016 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Check out the basic option - €4.99 for The Basic Virtual Reality Headset (77% off) on groupon.ie

Compatible with phones up to 5.5”
    Material: cardboard
    Unit weight: 65g
    Unit size: 20cm x 18cm x 1.5cm
    Volume weight: 108g
    Watch films in 1-3D
    Lots of apps available on Google Play and App Store
    You control the cardboard through head and body movements
    Designed to be easy to assemble

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

link broken

but I'm guessing it like these
    http://www.buyincoins.com/?r=search/index&cid=0&keyword=cardboard&pv=&sort=price_ASC

from €2.19 from China
    With another 6% off for BIC6EASTER

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dubgurl

Aye That's the same ones.
    I couldn't post the full URL as I am a "new user".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Would that not be bad for your eyes?

Im sure we were all told when we were younger not to sit too close to the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

mikeym wrote: »

I think that was more to do with blocking the TV than anything else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think that was more to do with blocking the TV than anything else.
    Well that and the X-Rays from the cathode ray tubes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

mikeym wrote: »

The lenses shift focus to infinity so to your eyes it feels like looking into the distance (with focus muscles relaxed for those with normal eyes)

After all there's no way you'd be able to focus that close unless you were incredibly nearsighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭breeno

The lenses shift focus to infinity so to your eyes it feels like looking into the distance (with focus muscles relaxed for those with normal eyes)

After all there's no way you'd be able to focus that close unless you were incredibly nearsighted.

Do any of these have an action button?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Jesus... Seriously? €4.99 + €2.49 postage????

€1.33 all in from eBay

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Don't buy the cardboard ones, they're just a gimmick, spend a bit more on a proper plastic one that holds your phone in place and stays on your head, they make mobile VR a proper experience that will surprise you if your phone is decent, I have one of these on the way from a recent Aliexpress bargain alert:

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32345425608.html

Keep an eye on the app, they come up sometimes for half that price...

Would these be any good for watching non 3D movies (in bed for example)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

OU812 wrote: »

what movies do you intend watching in bed ? ;)

sunny2004 wrote: »
    what movies do you intend watching in bed ? ;)

Yeah knew that would come up... not *that* type... general non 3d 720p type things...

You can load up any file in a cinema app and watch it on a big screen that way, I had a great experience watching True Grit on mine the other night, wasnt expecting it to be so good tbh, it was an insanely good VR experience for the sake of a phone and a piece of plastic:

Ill definitely do it again sometime but it was a bit of work setting it up, I wont be doing it for every video I watch on the phone, flicking through the Youtube app etc.

Did you watch it in stereoscopic 3D (how does that work with a movie not designed for it?)?

Can you just watch using the standard iOS video app, rather than a "cinema" environment?

I have no idea what you mean by stereoscopic 3D there? Watch the video I posted and see a good 2D representation of what its like, 3D film effects work in similar cinema apps without the need for 3D glasses in Oculus and Vive though, some people say its the best way to watch a 3D movie at home, I dont know if it works on mobile, Ill give it a try when my new one gets here.

As for watching normal videos in normal player apps through one of these headsets... it would be completely pointless, you would be watching a video on your phone as normal except you'd have strapped the phone to your head watching the screen an inch or two from your face through 2 unnecessary plastic lenses, also with a divider screen down between your 2 eyes, its for VR, nothing else, take a punt and try it, you'll understand the minute you wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Is it possible to watch actual 3D movies with an oculus?

Yes, as in the 3D effects in a film like Avatar will appear to be coming out of the screen towards you the same way they do in a cinema or 3D tv except you dont have to wear glasses, obviously with the current tech there will be a penalty in resolution and everything else, its not perfect yet, and definitely nowhere near perfect with a smartphone strapped to your head, still a very interesting experience though.

Thargor wrote: »
    I have no idea what you mean by stereoscopic 3D there?

Stereoscopic means the 3D is created by showing the same image to each eye a millisecond apart. Your eyes focus independently on their own image & it creates the 3D image.

So basically a movie that hasn't been shot with 3D in mind will appear to be in 3D (your brain is tricked)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

whichever one you go for, make sure there is some kind of "action" button or remote with it, as it's a pain in the hole trying to control your phone without one when it's inside the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Thargor wrote: »
    Don't buy the cardboard ones, they're just a gimmick, spend a bit more on a proper plastic one that holds your phone in place and stays on your head, they make mobile VR a proper experience that will surprise you if your phone is decent, I have one of these on the way from a recent Aliexpress bargain alert:

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32345425608.html

Keep an eye on the app, they come up sometimes for half that price...

For anyone that can't wait, Dunnes Stores have very similar to these for €29.99. Not saying they're cheap but you won't have to wait up to a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Dutchy

Bought on Amazon late last week and expecting the delivery tomorrow.
    Free Delivery when you get the order up to £25

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VIGICA-Virtual-Reality-Glasses-Smartphone-white/dp/B01482T1WS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Ordered these from a UK seller on eBay last night for about €11. No action button or remote but that doesn't bother me as I'm not interested in the VR elements & just want to play with them for movies.

I had a pair of those, you'll still need an input for pressing play, selecting options etc, the cardboard and Youtube apps wont work without it. You can make one yourself with a strong magnet on the outside and a washer or something metal on the inside on the right or left of the headset, the 2 will hold each other in place and you can slide it up and down like the one on a Google Cardboard set...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-3D-VR-Glasses-Virtual-Reality-Box-Video-Goggles-for-iPhone-6S-Plus-Android-4-7/32623696363.html
    I need something that has adjustable focus, I wear glasses for up close and the ones I tried seemed very blurred.Any thoughts on the link above.Yes they are yellow.that doesnt bother me.I drive around with eyelashes on my car.

Stereoscopic means the 3D is created by showing the same image to each eye a millisecond apart. Your eyes focus independently on their own image & it creates the 3D image.

So basically a movie that hasn't been shot with 3D in mind will appear to be in 3D (your brain is tricked)
    I kniw what stereoscopic photography is but it has nothing to do with what is going on with these headsets.
    cathy01 wrote: »
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-3D-VR-Glasses-Virtual-Reality-Box-Video-Goggles-for-iPhone-6S-Plus-Android-4-7/32623696363.html
    I need something that has adjustable focus, I wear glasses for up close and the ones I tried seemed very blurred.Any thoughts on the link above.Yes they are yellow.that doesnt bother me.I drive around with eyelashes on my car.
    These ones we were talking about are half that price and come with a free bluetooth controller:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/BOBOVR-3D-VR-Glasses-Xiaozhai-II-Virtual-Reality-VR-Head-Mount-Google-Cardboard-Oculus-for-4/32531800053.html

Not sure if they're adjustable in the same way though. They have 2 adjustment wheels but its hard to know...

Mine arrived this morning. Only played about with them for a couple of minutes, but they seem like great fun. I downloaded a 2D->3D converter earlier which I'm going to try to do a movie with to test that out also.

Advertisement