Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as You Go Bin Collections.

Options
  • 01-04-2016 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Its my understanding that annual contracts will become mandatory from the 1st of July next as according to government legislation. Anyway saw an ad in waterford today for a PAYG service.

Its €12 for general waste bin, €6 for recycling bin and €10 for food bin.
    :eek:

They don't have trucks or bins themselves but piggyback on other companies to collect a bin on their behalf.

Might suit some people with very little annual refuse but will it be legal after 1st July next and will it be reliable. What do ye think.

https://kollect.ie/home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭1moo345

Use this regularly, great service for those who don't want to commit to an annual contract. We don't need a bin collection every second week, so this suits perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭dzilla

Use them regularly. Why should i send a half full bin out every 2 weeks when i can yse these guys to take it when its full.

if you had bothered to read their website you would see they will conform with the new pay by weight laws from July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I saw them advertising in the local rag, while it's an expensive pick up per load if you're single and don't generate much waste its probably a better deal once the standing charge is removed from the equation. Must do some maths.

edit - done my maths. 2 euro difference! Damn my gardens with their hedges and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Its my understanding that annual contracts will become mandatory from the 1st of July next as according to government legislation. Anyway saw an ad in waterford today for a PAYG service.

Its €12 for general waste bin, €6 for recycling bin and €10 for food bin.
    :eek:

They don't have trucks or bins themselves but piggyback on other companies to collect a bin on their behalf.

Might suit some people with very little annual refuse but will it be legal after 1st July next and will it be reliable. What do ye think.

https://kollect.ie/home

so is this business not doomed then as u dont need an annual contract ? why would the government make having an annual contract mandatory, are you sure you're not confusing it with the pay by weight rule which is becoming mandatory in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Heggs82

I rang up the council and contracts are not becoming mandatory, all you need is a record of how your getting rid of your waste (Like a reciept or some kind of print-off). I dont see how contracts could ever become mandatory as they would have to shut down the bin disposal in every civic amenity site in Ireland. I use Kollect myself, working out very well for me as there is only 2 in my family and im not leaving bins out every week, I signed my parents up too for the same reason.

• Advertisement

Heggs82 wrote: »
    I rang up the council and contracts are not becoming mandatory, all you need is a record of how your getting rid of your waste (Like a reciept or some kind of print-off). I dont see how contracts could ever become mandatory as they would have to shut down the bin disposal in every civic amenity site in Ireland. I use Kollect myself, working out very well for me as there is only 2 in my family and im not leaving bins out every week, I signed my parents up too for the same reason.

thats good news, i was afraid to terminate my own contract with greenstar in case this was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

OXIGEN%20ANNUAL%20CONTRACT._zpsjpvapyb7.jpg
    OXIGEN%204_zpsthcktt6l.jpg

Annual service charge or contract, same thing to me.

Also

Minimum Term 1 year.

Ending contract early: Fee €25 plus €25 for each bin’s retrival and cleaning.

Fixed Annual Service Charge.

Plus Pay by weight charges.

Auto contract renewal unless 30 day notice received to do otherwise

Hi danjo, those are oxigens terms and conditions you have posted. There is nothing about mandatory contracts. Fixed fees such as the 12 euro kollect.ie will charge will be gone. But I dont think the government can enforce mandatory contracts.

Hi danjo, those are oxigens terms and conditions you have posted. There is nothing about mandatory contracts. Fixed fees such as the 12 euro kollect.ie will charge will be gone. But I dont think the government can enforce mandatory contracts.

I had a link to it but can't find it unfortunately, but under the pbw scheme all companies are going to be put on a level playing field as of the 1st July next, e.g all will have an annual 'service' charge (or contract in my books) after that each can decide how much they will charge per weight, over and above the minimum that is set.

Roughly that is what I read but all will be revealed soon....:)

I can see plenty of dumping going on after this, especially if most folks bills go up and not down.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Government are idiots. The only bin they should be charging for are the black bins. Green bin goes to be recycled which is great for environment, same as for brown compost bin. The real rubbish goes in the black bin, the stuff they actually have to do something with. All I can see now is either a lot of people dumping their rubbish or burning everything they can. At least of the two bins were free then people might actually put a bit of effort into separating rubbish properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cococoady wrote: »
    Government are idiots. The only bin they should be charging for are the black bins. Green bin goes to be recycled which is great for environment, same as for brown compost bin. The real rubbish goes in the black bin, the stuff they actually have to do something with. All I can see now is either a lot of people dumping their rubbish or burning everything they can. At least of the two bins were free then people might actually put a bit of effort into separating rubbish properly

the privatisation of our rubbish services have little or nothing to do with improving our environment, its about profits, plain and simple. its the 'joys' of neoliberalism!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cococoady wrote: »

To be fair, even with glass and food and drink cans being available to be recycled for free idiots still dump these items around the country or throw them into the black bin.

The only way to force some people to separate stuff out properly is hit them where it hurts, either with fines or their stuff doesn't get collected. I know in parts of Canada you can get fined for not sorting recycle properly.

In this case black bins will cost more so it is in their interest to have less black bins and they can do this by recycling properly

update.
    Originally Posted by Wiclow CoCo
    All waste collectors

Householders

Obligations for householders are not proposed to come into effect until 1 July 2016, although they will start receiving the weight of each waste collection from 1 July, 2015. From 1 July, 2016 it is intended that householders will be required to demonstrate they are managing their waste correctly and will be liable to a fixed payment notice if they cannot demonstrate same

Advertisement