Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Learn SQL Server, C# and ASP.Net

Options
  • 01-04-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

So i'm an Access Pro (VBA, SQL). Been doing it for years etc! (More of a data analyst than a programmer)

The company I work for have a SQL Server Db and it was built and managed by an external company a few years back.

I have a couple of Access databases and excel spreadsheets linked to it, and it's all dandy!!

Now, It has been suggested that we bring this service in-house, and I take over its management.
    The terms thrown at me were ASP.NET, C# , SQL Server;;; So i know nothing about ASP.NET or C#. Zippo.

Is this something that a weeks training can cover? Would there exist a course that covers all aspects, or would i need to do ASP.Net and then C# and maybe a course on SQL Server??? Im no programmer!!!Id say the system in place is quite straight forward - but I wouldnt know where to start on anything.

I was asked to figure out what Id need and to revert back?? Any ideas? Much appreciated. It was suggested I do a course, and then maybe we hire an IT company to provide additional support for 'enhancments' if I need backup. Is that something that generic IT companies provide?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its a big step up. VBA is scripting essentially while C# is programming. The role you're describing now is close to what a DBA does which is normally a CompSci/Maths Graduate with maybe a few field specific certs.

What are you going to host on, do you have your own hardware or do you want to pay somebody else to host it?
    How does it relate to your network security?
    What are the data protection implications?
    Whats your uptime requirement? Does this mean you'd now be on call?
    What are you migrating from and how will that performed? Downtime to do so?

This is an idea of the questions you need to ask. And will the company gain anything. There's no point in them saving €1/mo if they have to pay you €3/mo to be on call instead of the third party.

I'm no DBA but depending on your background maybe a 1yr MSc might be the route to take to transition like this if your company is really interested.

NB: Development forum might get some actual DBAs who actually know what they're on about answering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

thanks for the response. maybe i did post it in the wrong forum.(can it be moved or do i just re-ask the question elsewhere) there are probably a couple of layers that Im omitting just for the sake of avoiding too much detail. The actual system will stay where it is. There will be no changes to where its hosted, security issues or data migration implications. Its very small scale and in theorey, the amount of issues/requests should be minimal.

My question is could someone (somewhat technical) be able to quickly learn the skills needed to handle queries and/or small enhancements that require C#, ASP.Net coding ...........and/or are there IT support firms that could take over this support on an ad hoc basis.....or is it really a case of the company that developed it, should be the ones that support it??

(Im thinking more a long a one week course than a masters!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

maybe have a look here...?
    https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/DB/2014/SelfPaced/about
    It has sub-courses based on SQL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

A couple of things for you to think about

Who is going to do the job you do now?
    Who will be your backup when you are out sick?

It may be possible to do the support role but I think you should rule out any enhancements. It will take you a good while to properly understand the system and without a development structure around you it will not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

db wrote: »
    Who is going to do the job you do now?
    Who will be your backup when you are out sick?

It may be possible to do the support role but I think you should rule out any enhancements. It will take you a good while to properly understand the system and without a development structure around you it will not end well.

Thanks. The idea is that I should be able to manage both roles, and in theory, I probably would (if I knew what I was doing). We are a small company and the software package is 'basic' and nothing really is time sensitive (famous last words) .

I do think it's only a possibility if there existed a company that could provide ad hoc support where I could escalate glitches/enhancements too. If you rule out the company that built the package (for example, if they went bust), can you just hire an IT company to come in and play this role?? If you assume we commissioned the software, and it was built for us....Does there exist businesses out there, that provide Support for other peoples products (specifically in ASP.NET/ C#) - Im not looking for recommendations, just whether its a service that actually is offered? That's really my main question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

if there existed a company that could provide ad hoc support where I could escalate glitches/enhancements too. If you rule out the company that built the package (for example, if they went bust), can you just hire an IT company to come in and play this role?? If you assume we commissioned the software, and it was built for us....Does there exist businesses out there, that provide Support for other peoples products (specifically in ASP.NET/ C#)

Yes is the answer, there are a few companies who do work like this. Just so long as you have the original code for each application and not just the complied EXE's etc, then you can bring in a consultant IT company to look after the code and make enhancements etc.

My previous employer did just this and I worked in many places over almost 10 years doing just what you describe for them on contracts.
    PM me if you want information on the company etc.

Advertisement