Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New To Irish Genealogy- Advice needed please

Options
  • 01-04-2016 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi. I have been researching my family for many years, but, although I live in Ireland, I have never found any Irish connections. Until now. And I really have no idea of where to look for what I need. Can anyone help please?
    From the IGI, I have found out that James Lomax married Mary Anne McElwaine at Ballymascanlan, Co. Louth on March 21st 1851. His father is also listed as James Lomax.
    Following the marriage, they had a son, Richard, born in May 1853?, (I don't know where), and they subsequently embarked on the ship 'Guy Mannering' sailing Liverpool to New York in 1854. (The passenger list gives Richard's age as 11/12)
    I have 3 problems; 1. where did they live between 1851 and 1854.They are not in the UK 1851 census, and I do not know where to look for Richard's birth registration.2. Where did James come from? Where would I find a copy of the marriage cert, which may give me his home. Family descendants in the US say that the story in the family is that he originated from Co. Tyrone.and 3. Where would I look for his father? Are Co. Tyrone records available for the early 1800s?
    I apologise if its a lot to ask, But I really know nothing about Irish records and their availability.
    TIA
    Ron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

kali291 wrote: »
    ...From the IGI, I have found out that James Lomax married Mary Anne McElwaine at Ballymascanlan, Co. Louth on March 21st 1851. His father is also listed as James Lomax...

Since the record is included in civl records and before 1864 it's a non-Catholic marriage. A research cert would show the full details, e.g. occupations, residences for the bride & groom, names of witnesses etc
    ....Following the marriage, they had a son, Richard, born in May 1853?...I do not know where to look for Richard's birth registration...

Registration of birth commenced in 1864, so you would need to search for a baptism. The church and parish where his parents married is probably the place to start...
    ....Where would I find a copy of the marriage cert, which may give me his home....

You can order a research cert from the GRO which will show the full details.
    A civil marriage cert will show current places of residence, i.e. current address for the bride and groom.

The IrishGenealogy website is down at the moment, when it comes back see this link (option 1) for details on how to order research certs.

for reference the Extracted Marriage Record - the corresponding old style index references Year : 1851 / Registration District : Dundalk / Volume 5 / Page 411

see James Lomax and Mary Anne Mcilwaine

the only Lomax showing on Griffith's Valuation in Co. Louth is a John Lomax in Townparks, Dundalk, just after your Lomax family left, the valuation is dated 1854 for this area (published 20th Apr 1854).

see : Griffith's Valuation (AskAboutIreland)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kali291

Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be busy :-)
    Do you have any gems re research in Co. Tyrone?
    Thanks again

For info. on how to research start with the stickies at the top if this board, nothing specific I can think of offhand for Tyrone...

I'd think knowing the denomination would be the first step as that will hopefully steer you towards the correct records. The other details on the marriage cert will also guide you. Occupations and addresses could be very useful - marriages generally took place in the bride's current parish, but the groom might have an address outside the area - Counties Down, Armagh and Monaghan are not that far away from here...

• Advertisement

distribution of the Lomax surname based on Griffith's (c1847 - 1864, later dates towards the north) :
    381967.jpg

There's a possible match for Mary Anne's father on Griffith's - a Richard McAlwain listed at Killin townland, Ballymascanlon Civil parish. He's listed as sharing quite a large property with a Henry McAlwain

see : here

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I don't know the OP nor shanew but just have to mark shanew's contribution - what a kind (and informed) poster!

if the family were church of Ireland then it looks promising for Richard's baptism- RCB list shows baptism records for Ballymascalon parish going back to 1801 (assuming they stayed in the area). They seem to only be held locally - no mention that I saw of records for the parish in NAI (National Archives of Ireland), PRONI (Public Records Office Northern Ireland) or RCB (Representative Church Body).

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree more. Within a very short time he has provided more information and assistance than I could have found myself in weeks! It's people like shanew that make Boards.ie what it is - THE go to place for anything Irish!

There's a Mc Elwain household on the 1901 and 1911 census at Killin - same townland as that 1854 Griffith's record, might be related to your Mary Ann....

1901 Mc Elwain, Killin townland
    1911 Mc Elwain, Killin townland

Advertisement