Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More battery efficient alternative to Chrome?

Options
  • 31-03-2016 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to find Chrome to be an awful battery hog the last while. Anyone got any recommendations on the best alternative browser?

I've tried Dolphin a few times and liked it, but rid use it enough to notice whether it was better or worse than Chrome, battery wise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

What phone do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

I use Firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

If you have a Snapdragon based phone you can download an optimsed version of Chrome for it called CAF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

thomasj wrote: »
    What phone do you use?

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

corwill wrote:
    Vodafone Smart Ultra 6, for now.

Oh right! Great phone for the price of it, you get vanilla android which is pretty good but the downside is the choice of web browsers.

I think when it comes to saving battery the OEM browsers (Samsung, HTC, LG) have the best stock browsers. I am using the huawei browser on my phone.

What I would say is maybe look at ways that could save battery by optimizing chrome. I found that minimising the number of windows open was a big help. (At one stage there would be 20-30 windows open in the background.

Otherwise look at Firefox as has been said here. That's a great app.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ongarite wrote: »
    If you have a Snapdragon based phone you can download an optimsed version of Chrome for it called CAF

This is what he's talking about. It's lightning fast and has built in adblock but there is a permissions issue, it never asks for contacts permission making it difficult to sign in to Google sync. Install it, then go to settings> apps> rsbrowser and allow all permissions.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rsbrowser.browser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

This is what he's talking about. It's lightning fast and has built in adblock but there is a permissions issue, it never asks for contacts permission making it difficult to sign in to Google sync. Install it, then go to settings> apps> rsbrowser and allow all permissions.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rsbrowser.browser

Was going to give Dolphin another bash ;-), but I think I'll road test this for a while first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

corwill wrote: »
    Was going to give Dolphin another bash ;-), but I think I'll road test this for a while first.

I've been a dolphin user for a few years for it's Lastpass integration but have stopped using it as it's gone too slow, it's bloated

Advertisement