Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple or Samsung?

Options
  • 31-03-2016 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I know this is an android forum but I could do with a little help. I don't know whether to go for an S7 or an IP 6. I think the S7 is €150 and the ip 64gig is €140 ,I could have the 16 gig for free.I've had 4 Samsungs so this would no5. I'm upgrading from anS5. Is it worth it?,Is the apple product better value,easier to navigate?. I've never had an apple so don't know.
    Cheers
    Odyssey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭PeteSco

Samsung S7 hands down, the S7 Edge would be even better if you can get it, but not a deal breaker.
    Is it the iPhone 6 or 6S? I don't even know why I ask, the Samsung S7 is better than both either way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Ask in this forum and you'll be told Samsung. Ask in the Apple forum and you'll be told Apple.

Maybe better to post in the more generic mobile forum?

Bob24 wrote: »
    Ask in this forum and you'll be told Samsung. Ask in the Apple forum and you'll be told Apple.

That's not true, though.
    This isn't a "Samsung" forum, there are probably more Samsung haters than fanboys. If he would have asked between Samsung S6 and iPhone 6S, maybe I would have said the latter. In this case the Samsung S7 is a clear winner wherever you ask it. Maybe even on Apple forums :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bob24 wrote: »

Used an iPhone 5s since October, changed back to Android the day the s7 came out. Much prefer android to ios.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What's the difference in an S7 and an S7 edge. I was so surprised at the prices I got I didn't even ask which it was.
    Many thanks for your replies so far..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

Got a Galaxy S6. Changed back to my iPhone 5s. Galaxy has better hardware (it should it's a lot newer), but iOS > Android for me.

Have used both operating systems? Never mind the phone. Not much difference really. Go for the OS your prefer.

What's the difference in an S7 and an S7 edge. I was so surprised at the prices I got I didn't even ask which it was.
    Many thanks for your replies so far..
    The Edge is bigger 5.5" vs 5.1" and it has the "Edge" display you might have seen everywhere on ads, but the most important thing (imho) is that it has a 3600mAh battery vs the 3000mAh on the non Edge version.

PeteSco wrote: »
    The Edge is bigger 5.5" vs 5.1" and it has the "Edge" display you might have seen everywhere on ads, but the most important thing (imho) is that it has a 3600mAh battery vs the 3000mAh on the non Edge version.

Thank you. I can honesty say I have seen neither. Will go and look tomorrow. Will try for the edge. Don't know if it'll work,god loves a try er though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Make sure and play with a Samsung first, it doesn't run standard android. I love their hardware but they have made a serious balls out of Android, I find it to be a horrible user experience and unfortunately you can't install a custom rom on the Samsungs.

I had an Ace an s3 and an S5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Have been an android user for a few years. Forced with work to go to the 5 iPhone. Have been using it for about 1.5 years.
    I'd still go back to android for its open source attitude .
    I phone is in some cases just not as slick but as a phone it's damn robust from a 5s point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I won't have the technical knowledge of many of the posters on this thread, but I think that my opinion is relevant because I am an Apple consumer who owns a Samsung Galaxy s5. I have used iterations of the Macbook for the last 10 years, had an IPhone for 4 years and bought the Samsung phone about 9 months ago.

I say go for the Samsung phone. Definitely. I think that the presentation of the IPhone is slightly more attractive, but that is seriously worth next to nothing when you are using the phone. The thing about the Iphone is that you cannot do some of the very simple things like for example - deleting tracks from your music without having to plug it into the laptop. It just isn't autonomous that way. I can safely say that in all the years I owned an IPhone (which I loved), I never could quite understand what the f*** was going on when I wanted to delete and add tracks or albums using ITunes. For a manufacturer that markets itself on 'ease of use' I found this to be infuriatingly difficult to do and so many times I ended up syncing my whole library even though I did not want to.

Another great thing about the Android phone is that I can take movies that I download from my Macbook and put them on to my Samsung and watch them when I am on the DART etc. I never quite managed to do this on my IPhone - I don't know if this is because you cannot do it on an IPhone or if it is just very difficult to do. But it is so easy to do on the Samsung. This was actually the deal breaker for me.

But then there is also the fact that you can add more memory to your Samsung Galaxy (as long as it's not the S6, I believe) and it is really cheap and easy.

The Galaxy S5 I have now outperforms the IPhone in every category bar none that I am aware of, and is considerably cheaper for what you get.

As I said earlier, this comment is coming from somebody who has used Apple products for ten years (and I am typing this on my Macbook Air right now). Apple are great, but they have gone 'off the boil' in the phone market, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

jester77 wrote:
    Make sure and play with a Samsung first, it doesn't run standard android. I love their hardware but they have made a serious balls out of Android, I find it to be a horrible user experience and unfortunately you can't install a custom rom on the Samsungs.

Don't ya just hate Knox

That's not true, though.
    This isn't a "Samsung" forum, there are probably more Samsung haters than fanboys. If he would have asked between Samsung S6 and iPhone 6S, maybe I would have said the latter. In this case the Samsung S7 is a clear winner wherever you ask it. Maybe even on Apple forums :P :D

Would you say the answers to date are proving me wrong about the kind of feedback which would be coming from here though? (no problem with people recommending the Samsung - it's fair enough that on an Android forum people prefer a phone running Android, but sure on the Apple forum people would recommend the iPhone and at the end of the day there is very little value for the OP from those answers).

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

The thing about the Iphone is that you cannot do some of the very simple things like for example - deleting tracks from your music without having to plug it into the laptop. It just isn't autonomous that way. I can safely say that in all the years I owned an IPhone (which I loved), I never could quite understand what the f*** was going on when I wanted to delete and add tracks or albums using ITunes.

The fact that you don't know how to use a phone, does not mean that it's not capable of doing so. There are hundreds of tutorials in the web, and you could also arrange a phone call from an Apple representative to make you a demonstration of the phone, or even attend a workshop.

One should not need a tutorial to drag and drop a photo. I have iphone for work and every day it makes me curse it. Of course I also have android for home and curse it also, but only for being slow.

I miss my Windows phone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi there,
    I know this is an android forum but I could do with a little help. I don't know whether to go for an S7 or an IP 6. I think the S7 is €150 and the ip 64gig is €140 ,I could have the 16 gig for free.I've had 4 Samsungs so this would no5. I'm upgrading from anS5. Is it worth it?,Is the apple product better value,easier to navigate?. I've never had an apple so don't know.
    Cheers
    Odyssey

I've flip-flopped between Apple and Samsung (and even Windows phone) over the past few years and to be honest, in terms of functionality, there is very little to separate them.

There are two reasons I would have recommended you go for Apple. One is the user interface. Yes, iOS is slick, but the gap is very narrow between it and Android now.

Two, is if you are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem in terms of music/apps/books/etc. I don't believe either of these are relevant any more because what you can do on one, you can do on the other with equal simplicity.

I'm using a Samsung Note 5 and I bought it because I loved the feel of it. Yup. Nothing more*. It feels nice in my hand, I do actually use the pen thingy a bit and it has a decent sized-screen (which, admittedly, so does the iPhone).

So go into a shop, pick up each of the two types of phone, play with them and then decide.

*technically that's not 100% true. I wanted a smartwatch and I couldn't justify spending almost 2000 Euro on an Apple phone and a watch. So I went Samsung + Motorola

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Patww79 wrote: »
    Every phone has "hidden" things, most of the users are not aware of. At least Apple, has the option to give you a tutorial on all those things. I am 99% sure you don't know all your phone gestures for example and if you do, you are an exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Recently moved from a 6s plus 64gb to a normal flat S7. I considered the edge but knew it would get broken at some stage.

I go between the two operating systems and in my opinion android is beginning to pull away from iOS. You don't get the odd crash or freeze from a few years ago anymore and the app selection and quality has improved significantly.

I'd go with the S7 again given the choice. It's the best device I've used to date, snappy, great battery life, excellent screen and expandable storage - this is a big one for me. But at the same time I don't think you'd be disappointed with either phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

I'm a bit of a phone junkie so I've used most of the flagships. I don't think the question should be Apple or Samsung, and instead should be "iPhone or what Android phone?".

I had the S5 like yourself and while it was decent, I found it a bit cheap and nasty for such an expensive phone (at the time). I've since had the S6 and Edge, both of which have lovely screens and great camera's but a criminally inadequate battery for the job. I was charging them 2/3 times a day at times. The S7 has a slightly larger battery, but still has all the power hungry Samsung cr@p on-board so it's not a big improvement.

I'd consider the Nexus 6P (or Nexus 5X if you want something a little smaller). Both are running stock Android with massively better battery performance than the Samsung offerings and are cheaper. I've found the Nexus 6P to be a lot better on RAM management and the fingerprint sensor beats the Samsung one for me, partly because the positioning seems more ergonomic and sensible and partly because it doesn't need to be clicked to unlock the phone.

Generally, I don't like Apple devices. I lost interest when Jailbreaks became less and less common and I've always found when moving back to them that you find limitations in them quite quickly when used to Android.

Hecklar wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a phone junkie so I've used most of the flagships. I don't think the question should be Apple or Samsung, and instead should be "iPhone or what Android phone?".

Agreed. I think as a "normal" user the first thing is to chose which ecosystem you prefer and then to see what phones are available within that ecosystem and commit to it for some time (doesn't mean you can never change but if you keep changing every-time you get a new phone you will lose many of the benefits and/or cause more trouble for yourself). Buying a device just because it is considered the best on the market at a given time and regardless of what OS it is running is not something I would do (though of course it makes sense for some people, for example phone reviewer or a geek who enjoys trying everything available).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Ive had a few Samsung's now and decided to change but wanted to stick with android. So i did some research and went with the ASUS Zenfone 2. You get a lot for your money.
    If you are 'tech savvy' enough then android will suit you but if you not, apple probable best as its more user friendly.
    Do you have any friends with android phones, maybe ask to play with one for a bit and see what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I've had iPhones from the Iphone 3s all the way through, and bought the clatter of iOS devices to go with it, but had a Galaxys4 mini for a short time inbetween and loved it.

I loved the freedom and flexibility of Android.

went back to Apple after I broke the S4 as i got a free Iphone 5s, but when I tried out the Galaxy S6 I personally felt that Samsung/Android had surpassed iOS, so the decision was easy from there on in and I am thrilled now.

all iOS devices now sold and replaced with Android based system(s) and some of the stuff i can do on this platform i would never have been able to achieve unless i went down the jailbreak route on iOS and all the hassle that brings to the table.

I think if I went back to iOS it would just frustrate the hell out of me.

Many thanks for all your input lads. I have decided in the Samsung. The S7 edge is coming in €100 dearer than the ordinary S7. It has a bigger screen and battery. Do ye think it's worth 100 yoy is?

Many thanks for all your input lads. I have decided in the Samsung. The S7 edge is coming in €100 dearer than the ordinary S7. It has a bigger screen and battery. Do ye think it's worth 100 yoy is?
    If those 100€ aren't a huge deal for you then definitely yes. My phone has a 4000mAh battery and I still wish it was bigger. I wouldn't go for a device with less battery capacity if I had the choice.
    By the way, you should still go to a store and try them out!

If those 100€ aren't a huge deal for you then definitely yes. My phone has a 4000mAh battery and I still wish it was bigger. I wouldn't go for a device with less battery capacity if I had the choice.
    By the way, you should still go to a store and try them out!

I did,went today. Really liked the edge. Just wasn't sure it was worth the extra..

• Advertisement

Bit the bullet and got an S7 edge. Fun begins now trying to get it as user friendly as my S5.
    Thanks for all the replies lads& lassies..

Advertisement