Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in Dublin with kids - where to go?

Options
  • 31-03-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

hi all, will be in Dublin for 2-3 nights, any ideas what to do with kids on me (2/6yo)? have car so even places within 1h drive would do. any tips appreciated :)
    so far I only have Tayto Park on the list

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

hi all, will be in Dublin for 2-3 nights, any ideas what to do with kids on me (2/6yo)? have car so even places within 1h drive would do. any tips appreciated :)
    so far I only have Tayto Park on the list

Phoenix park/zoo, dart trip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭Patser

Natural history museum and national museum - close to each other and free

Zoo - well worth admission

Croke Park if they're GAA fans

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some of the parks are pretty good and free. Bushy Park, phoenix park or tymon Park from my knowledge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

St. Anne's park - ducks, excellent playground, trees, lots of space to run around, could visit Dollymount strand afterwards and run the legs off them there too.

Howth - steely-eyed fish, boats and lots of 'eurggh!' opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Imaginosity is brilliant ... expensive but worth it, I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Malahide castle, avoca shop in there and great place to get coffee (hot choc for the kids) then take a walk around to the playground. Then skip up the road to Malahide marina to see the lovely boats and then 5 min walk to the beach. Zoo is also great (love the new sea lion pool).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Fort lucan?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The Ark, in Temple Bar have events for families, and children aged 2-12. Here is the events page: The Ark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

You won't go wrong with the zoo but you might also enjoy a trip to Airfield House.
    http://www.airfield.ie/
    We love going on a day trip to Dun Laoghaire with our little one. If the day is nice you can walk the pier, get an ice cream, watch the ferries coming in and out, boat watch, visit the fantastic new library and the Maritime Museum there!
    Visit St Anne's Park and Dollymount...they can watch the kite surfing! Walk the Bull wall to the lighthouse. It's fab if the day is nice and kids can again watch the ferries coming in and out of Dublin Port. Wrap up well this time of year!
    Dalkey Castle and a climb up Dalkey Hill!
    Perhaps a drive to the National Stud if you haven't already been. You can sometimes find 2 for 1 entry online.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

thanks everyone :) that makes a nice list... off to reading more about these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,771 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Tayto park is also great for the kids and I can't recommend the zoo enough, it really is top class.

If you go to the natural history museum there's a lovely little playground in Merrion square.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sundew wrote: »
    We love going on a day trip to Dun Laoghaire with our little one. If the day is nice you can walk the pier, get an ice cream, watch the ferries coming in and out, boat watch, visit the fantastic new library and the Maritime Museum there!

no ferries in DL anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Park up at the Dart Line out near Raheny and get the Dart to Bray and see Dublin City and the coast from a different view point.
    Get off at Bray and walk along the sea front where the play grounds and fairs are. Then get on the Dart back to where you left the car.
    Allow at least 3 + hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Toxic fish collection in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Do avoid the Leprechaun museum. I went there with my (non Irish but English speaking) 6 year old nieces and it was a major disappointment unfortunately :( I know that they officially don't claim to cater to children but it was still such a waste of money!

They LOVED Imaginosity and since we went there on a weekday the allowed us to stay as long as we wanted. Also went for Viking Splash Tour but they couldn't understand any of the Irish English as they weren't used to the accent (I hadn't thought of that) but they loved getting into the water and shouting at random strangers!

Maybe also check kidsguide dot ie for more ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Fort lucan?

I have also heard great things about Fort Lucan!

There is also Go Kids Go in Dublin 15 and Squirrels Scramble in Bray but I haven't been there myself yet.

Any kids I had out in Dublin just like the random rubbish,, IMO!!
    Go on the dart & luas, walk along the piers, go into shopping centres & up & down lifts. Loads of playgrounds. Tymon park, south side is good.
    Depends how old they are I guess.
    I'm bringing kids this summer on the Viking splash tour, cos I'm dying to go myself!!
    Imaginousity ( or however ya spell it ) is great, costs money though.
    Sealife in bray is a bit crappy I think, but the walk up bray head is great, & along the seafront on a nice day.
    Dun laoghaire pier walk, then into the people's park is nice.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The dead zoo is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Rain gear, hat, wellies, shovel, bucket, kite, frisbie, hot flask - Beach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I recently went to Go Quest which is at the Finglas exit on the M50. It's a crystal maze type thing, a warehouse with 27 challenge rooms and you get 90 mins to try to complete as many as possible. It was really good fun, only opened recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

This is a great list.

Would the viking Splash tour be suitable for children?

Also, has anybody any recommendation for something child centred regarding 1916.

As with OP I will have a car and can travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They'll get a thrill going around on the boat thingy and roaring at pedestrians and going into the water. They must be over 2 though. It can get pretty cold as you're exposed when driving around so make sure they're well wrapped up.

Best to book in advance though as you may be disappointed if you just turn up as they usually sell out.

Advertisement