Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment from the Social Welfare

Options
  • 31-03-2016 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I am a young single parent and I am currently awaiting for the lone parent payment. I had my baby back in August and applied straight away but faced many obstacles such as confirmation from SUSI on a grant if I was to receive one ( not my fault for the delay ) and also other documentation from the college which I could not receive until my SUSI grant was given or declined. I had all the information needed by the end of December and have been up to the social department offices on many occasions and they seem to have interest in the fact that I really am struggling financially and at this stage I am debating on leaving college because I cannot afford to continue. To date, my parents have been assisting me financially but money does not grow on trees and the funds have become very low. I was told to go to Supplementary officer where I was almost laughed at because I was told I am entitled to nothing as I am still in education. I currently receive zero from the other parent and have no contact with him. The only funds I receive is the children allowance payment which only covers the cost of childcare while I attend college. I have contacted my local TD but have gotten no further.

Please please is there anyone with any incline on what to do next?

Thanking you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Moved to the State Benefits forum where you may receive more useful replies. Please note that their charter applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you live with your parents their income may exempt you from OFP via the means test. Have you calculated that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

ED E wrote: »
    If you live with your parents their income may exempt you from OFP via the means test. Have you calculated that?

Her parents income will have absolutely nothing to do with her OPFP application
    OP there must have been some misunderstanding between you and the CWO regarding the SWA
    You can certainly be in full time education and get OPFP
    Are you actually in receipt of a SUSI grant or not?
    Is the father of your child in employment?
    Have you given his details to SW via the OPFP form you completed?
    If not then this could be causing the delay in your payment

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Surenotabother

Her parents income will have absolutely nothing to do with her OPFP application
    OP there must have been some misunderstanding between you and the CWO regarding the SWA
    You can certainly be in full time education and get OPFP
    Are you actually in receipt of a SUSI grant or not?
    Is the father of your child in employment?
    Have you given his details to SW via the OPFP form you completed?
    If not then this could be causing the delay in your payment

There was no misunderstanding I was told by the CWO the usual process is that while you are awaiting the opfp you can receive payments from the CWO but I was then informed I do not receive anything from them because I am in college not that I do not receive the opfp. I have no involvement with the father of my child and receive nothing from him. I have given his details but nothing has happened yet and it is a joke at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

There was no misunderstanding I was told by the CWO the usual process is that while you are awaiting the opfp you can receive payments from the CWO but I was then informed I do not receive anything from them because I am in college not that I do not receive the opfp. I have no involvement with the father of my child and receive nothing from him. I have given his details but nothing has happened yet and it is a joke at this stage.

Did the CWO tell you that you couldn't get SWA while waiting for your OPFP? Did she/he give you that desicion in writing?
    Also you can go to your local District Cpurt and say you want to pursue the father of your child for maintenance

• Advertisement
Advertisement